Biting, Attacking, Stubborn Cat

Amee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat, Harvey, who is 71/2 months old. I've had him for 6 months, and his behavior has just gotten worse and worse the entire time I've had him. I'm fed up, and I need help!!! He's neutered, healthy, and fed properly. He has LOTS of toys. We have never let him play with our hands. He Plays with strings on a stick, his cratchi g posts, fake mice, and his favorite: shiny pipe cleaners. Here are the problems:
1) Harvey won't stay off my kitchen counters!!! I'm talking 100+ times a day, I have to remove this dim-witted cat from my counters. Various ways I have dealt /deal with it are: spraying him with a spray bottle, just placing him on the ground, putting him somewhere cozy off the ground so he knows where he IS allowed, raising my voice and being very dominant, and shutting him outside. I kid you not, he doesn't get it. I'm at my wit's end with this.
2) He attacks my three-year-old. She's not doing anything. Literally. I told her to just try smacking him rught when he bites her so he knows that it's wrong, but most of the time, she doesn't because she is too busy crying about being bit. I yell at him. He runs away but still does it.
3) He bites me EVERY time I try to love on him. I can't hold this cat or even pet this cat without him curling up and biting me aggressively and kicking me. It is gone worse and worse so I'm thinking maybe he is just mad about my insistence that he does not belong on my kitchen counters??? I could understand but I wish he would just learn because I won't let up on the counters. It's gross.
HELP!!! I've never been great at trainee animals comment but I've never had such a bad one before. He is just...awful.
Thanks!
-amee

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this.

It is always hard to get cats to stay off counters. I sure know that. Personally, I have accepted that. I will say "no" in a calm and confident voice. I never yell and never force them off.

Your cat is a kitten with boundless energy. SO make sure you have cat trees so that he can run up on those in other parts of the house. And if you can have them safely by a window so he can look out that is good as cats LOVE to look outside at the wildlife.

Cats take on our emotions so it is incredibly important to stay as calm as possible. Yelling, spraying them with water, hitting them only escalates the situation and increases the stress causing more bad behavior. It is like when we get into a disagreement with a spouse and it escalates into yelling, our blood pressure goes high, we say things we don't mean, etc. It just escalates.

Cats typically don't bite without being threatened (rightly or wrongly). So we never want to initiate contact with a cat especially when they are "amped up". We always want to deescalate the situation. Then use play or food to turn it into something positive.

Never approach a cat from above. Only from below their eye level. Never stand over a cat. Being low is intimidating to a cat, having the high is much better.

Consider having a cat tree and cat shelving in the room your daughter plays or hangs out in. This gives the cat an escape route and places to go where the cat is not having to go near the kid.

You may want to at some point have your kid feed the cat to build a positive association. But only if your daughter is calm while doing that. Cats take on our emotions so if we move around too fast and look to be threatening cats can get into defensive mode.

Also, I want you to build trust between you and the cat. Using food as well, treats. Even just sitting near him and talking softly, calmly, confidently and lovingly to him. To show that you are not a threat to him and to build trust and a positive association. Let him initiate contact and never force attention on him.

So we need to stay as calm and confident around him as possible as cats take on our emotions. Keep playing with him and giving food to build positive associations. Never initiate contact for now. Give him options of going high especially by windows (as long as the cat tree etc will not fall into the window) and think about adding cat shelving so he can move around the rooms avoiding the child on the floor, etc.

He is a kitten and is full of energy and still is learning. We need to teach him in a positive way to do the right thing.

I hope others can add ideas on how to keep cats off counters (I would like to know too).

I am happy to help you get through this. This is a common problem and we can solve it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I appreciate the advice. I will definitely try to have a calm response when he's getting on my nerves and I'll see if I can find a cat tower for the window near the kitchen.
I also do move very fast and am quite active around the house in general which does make him jump back often despite my not moving directly toward him, so maybe he is aggressive toward me because of that! Thanks for the suggestions! I so appreciate the help
-Amee

I am sorry to hear this.

It is always hard to get cats to stay off counters. I sure know that. Personally, I have accepted that. I will say "no"1 in a calm and confident voice. I never yell and never force them off.

Your cat is a kitten with boundless energy. SO make sure you have cat trees so that he can run up on those in other parts of the house. And if you can have them safely by a window so he can look out that is good as cats LOVE to look outside at the wildlife.

Cats take on our emotions so it is incredibly important to stay as calm as possible. Yelling, spraying them with water, hitting them only escalates the situation and increases the stress causing more bad behavior. It is like when we get into a disagreement with a spouse and it escalates into yelling, our blood pressure goes high, we say things we don't mean, etc. It just escalates.

Cats typically don't bite without being threatened (rightly or wrongly). So we never want to initiate contact with a cat especially when they are "amped up". We always want to deescalate the situation. Then use play or food to turn it into something positive.

Never approach a cat from above. Only from below their eye level. Never stand over a cat. Being low is intimidating to a cat, having the high is much better.

Consider having a cat tree and cat shelving in the room your daughter plays or hangs out in. This gives the cat an escape route and places to go where the cat is not having to go near the kid.

You may want to at some point have your kid feed the cat to build a positive association. But only if your daughter is calm while doing that. Cats take on our emotions so if we move around too fast and look to be threatening cats can get into defensive mode.

Also, I want you to build trust between you and the cat. Using food as well, treats. Even just sitting near him and talking softly, calmly, confidently and lovingly to him. To show that you are not a threat to him and to build trust and a positive association. Let him initiate contact and never force attention on him.

So we need to stay as calm and confident around him as possible as cats take on our emotions. Keep playing with him and giving food to build positive associations. Never initiate contact for now. Give him options of going high especially by windows (as long as the cat tree etc will not fall into the window) and think about adding cat shelving so he can move around the rooms avoiding the child on the floor, etc.

He is a kitten and is full of energy and still is learning. We need to teach him in a positive way to do the right thing.

I hope others can add ideas on how to keep cats off counters (I would like to know too).

I am happy to help you get through this. This is a common problem and we can solve it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

I like to make other areas of the house more attractive for him in addition to trying to give them options in the kitchen. So for example, I too have a cat tree by the kitchen windows and my cats have spent more time there than on the counters. Also, adding options outside of the kitchen to encourage him to spend more time in other parts of the house. So cat trees, cat shelving, warm and comfy bedding, toys he can play with on his own, things like that.

I deal with ferals all the time. I have learned that how I move and what my emotions are like have a huge impact on how the cats react. Ferals are naturally skitttish because they have to be in order to survive on the streets. So I tend to move around normally, not too fast, not too slow because if I act different they sense something is wrong. And when I am teaching someone to deal with ferals I see how they may have a cautious/fear towards them which makes the cats get more on "high alert". So I try to show them that just acting calm and confident helps them get more at ease since I am not perceived as a threat etc.

Since your guy is still young he is still figuring things out. So fast movements can seem threatening even though your intent is obviously not to hurt him. But that mis-perception can happen and cause him to get more defensive and then start to protect himself. And typically when we have a lot to do and we are moving faster we have a little stress that can cause a cat to pick up on that and be more stressed. It is easier said than done given life is hectic and chaotic but trying to manage our emotions is not only good for the cat but also for our own health.

Don't worry, we will get through this. your experience is actually pretty common and normal. Let me know how things are going and please share any information that may be relevant. What happens before an incident, etc. And let's see how he responds to our efforts. I'll be with you every step of the way so please feel free to ask anything anytime.

anziani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amee, I don't understand your fear of cats on a counter unless they are into your food. I am lucky in my cat, Shadow, jumps up to see what I am doing. Luckily, he has n o interest in "people" food, he just wants to see what dad is doing. He is a short hair and I brush him daily so I have no fear of "contamination". However, I have the same problem in that he like to bite me. Some times he is gentle and "gnaws" on a finger but other times he attacks. My arms have nicks all over them from his attacks. haven't found an answer yet.

I have a cat, Harvey, who is 71/2 months old. I've had him for 6 months, and his behavior has just gotten worse and worse the entire time I've had him. I'm fed up, and I need help!!! He's neutered, healthy, and fed properly. He has LOTS of toys. We have never let him play with our hands. He Plays with strings on a stick, his cratchi g posts, fake mice, and his favorite: shiny pipe cleaners. Here are the problems:
1) Harvey won't stay off my kitchen counters!!! I'm talking 100+ times a day, I have to remove this dim-witted cat from my counters. Various ways I have dealt /deal with it are: spraying him with a spray bottle, just placing him on the ground, putting him somewhere cozy off the ground so he knows where he IS allowed, raising my voice and being very dominant, and shutting him outside. I kid you not, he doesn't get it. I'm at my wit's end with this.
2) He attacks my three-year-old. She's not doing anything. Literally. I told her to just try smacking him rught when he bites her so he knows that it's wrong, but most of the time, she doesn't because she is too busy crying about being bit. I yell at him. He runs away but still does it.
3) He bites me EVERY time I try to love on him. I can't hold this cat or even pet this cat without him curling up and biting me aggressively and kicking me. It is gone worse and worse so I'm thinking maybe he is just mad about my insistence that he does not belong on my kitchen counters??? I could understand but I wish he would just learn because I won't let up on the counters. It's gross.
HELP!!! I've never been great at trainee animals comment but I've never had such a bad one before. He is just...awful.
Thanks!
-amee

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your counter a high point in your house? Cats love to be high. The most ive been able to do with a cat is getting them to understand is if im cooking their not allowed on the counter. If you act aggressively they will respond aggressively. This may sound dumb but have you tried simply explaining the consequences that will happen if he gets on the counters? This work pretty well on my cats and a friends cats. Just like with a kid you explain whats allowed and whats not. And follow through be calm when doing so. We have a cat room that also severs as a time out area. They know first they get scolded then a warning and finale sent to their room when being naughty.
Try making other areas fun and more appealing .Then the counters. Um i can't remember if its lemon or Orange scents cats don't like maybe wiping the counters down with a diluted wash of that scent will help discourage him from the counters.

As for your three year old i'd take the time to supervise their interaction. Kids and kittens tend to play aggressive. Is he possibly giving a love bite but she dosen't understand that he not trying to hurt her and makes the bite worse? Is it possible that she being a bit to rough for him like giving him a hug and he dosen't like that? Try to watch their interaction from both of their side and figure out whats triggering the attacks.

Like i know with Harley that if i pick him up he will become aggressive but yet is very much a lover and will request to be petted or he'll just lay with you he really is only mean if you pick him up. Talia gets over stimulated and you have to watch for the signs. When over stimulated she flips from this sweet heart of a cat to this aggressive cat. She is really a loving cat as long as your aware of her mood. My two tabby girls act standoffish but melt into your hold for some loving until they've had enough. Just figure out his triggers. He still a kitten and it sounds like he might have been taken a bit early from his litter. Oh is it possible to give him some one on one playtime with you or your partner a couple times a day just to burn off some of his energy? That might help with his biting

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing that I would also try would be to always use the same word when you want her to get off the counter. When our cat jumps on the counter we always say "Get down" in a firm voice. It works like 65% of the time. I know that she understands the word, because she LOOKS at the floor even if she doesn't move lol. If she doesn't get down, we pick her up and put her down, but just in a regular manner, not quickly/angrily. I honestly don't care that much about the counter, it is just when we are cooking and have knives/food out, so I try to keep it more of a "general rule" to not go on the counter. I let her go on any other sink or place like that, just near the cutting boards is where I really stress this. Who knows what she does when we are both at work lol.

I know that kids can really stress cats out because of how unpredictable and quick they can move. I think that having her smack the cat would just add to this uncertainty/anger.

Good luck with your kitty :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great addition to the thread/issue. That link is terrific. I agree it is well worth the read.