Bit stumped...ideas?

himimochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heyo! So I have a domestic short hair orange baby boi who'll be turning 2 in April that I got from a good shelter in my area and he has me a bit stumped!

I've had him since June and he adjusted really well to his new home and sister (2 year old bengal/snowshoe mix) but back in October he was looking concerningly thin so I took him to the vet. He recieved fluids overnight (baby was dehydrated from throwing up and not having enough fluids overall), got blood work done, and a scan of his tummy. The vets came to the conclusion he may have FIP and I'm still prepared for that being the worst case scenario (fingers crossed though) but after he came home and since he's been eating well and affectionate but he just hasn't been gaining weight. I've tried him with blue buffalo kibble, different wet foods, and now trying him on raw and he is 100% eating so I'm a bit stumped and would love more opinions 🙏

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet is the best person to tell; none of us are veterinarians, but another reason he may not be gaining weight would be hyperthyroidism. It would be best to take him back to the vet, or at least call yours.

Welcome to the Cat Site! We all care for our kitties.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Phoebe seven years ago she didn’t gain weight either. No other symptoms at all. Many tests and exploratory surgery later, the best guess was that she has IBD. Her first few years were on hypoallergenic food and regular Prednisone pills. About four years ago she started losing weight again. New vet suggested RC Anallergenic, and she’s doing very well on that. No Prednisone, either, just monthly B12 shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himimochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your vet is the best person to tell; none of us are veterinarians, but another reason he may not be gaining weight would be hyperthyroidism. It would be best to take him back to the vet, or at least call yours.

Welcome to the Cat Site! We all care for our kitties.
I totally agree on the vet thing just sadly don't have the funds to take him in at the moment so wanted more opinions from people who have maybe had other experiences and such but def will be doing it when able to <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himimochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I adopted Phoebe seven years ago she didn’t gain weight either. No other symptoms at all. Many tests and exploratory surgery later, the best guess was that she has IBD. Her first few years were on hypoallergenic food and regular Prednisone pills. About four years ago she started losing weight again. New vet suggested RC Anallergenic, and she’s doing very well on that. No Prednisone, either, just monthly B12 shots.
He did actually get put on a liquid medication because the tummy scan showed some inflammation 🤔