Birth Question

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth 48 hours ago to a stillborn looked liked the placenta stopped working kitten only had hair around head. I can feel she has more or at least one more moving in there. She hasn't had any contractions she's eating, drinking water and very affectionate doesn't seem to be in pain. Is this normal or does she need to be seen?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you can feel the other kittens moving and Mom isn't bleeding or in distress, you should be okay not seeing a vet right away. I would contact your regular vet and set up an appointment in the near future just to be on the safe side.

Cats can have litters with multiple father's and several days difference between the kittens gestational age. While not common, it also isn't uncommon for their bodies to abort kittens who wouldn't make it or are already dead in utero to allow the others a better chance at survival. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the pregnancy or any of the other kittens. I just tend to like a vet to confirm nothing is wrong.

If Mom seems to be in distress or you stop being able to feel movement then I would see a vet right away

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing now? Cats can take up to day or two between delivering kittens (because, exactly as Kieka said, there can be multiple fathers). Keep an eye on her; if she starts panting, heaving, or straining for more than 30 minutes, without a producing a kitten, you need to take her to the emergency vet.

See this article: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It wouldn’t let me log back in with my fb so I had to make a new one. She’s good no babies yet. She has been meowing alot today and wanting more attention she jumped up into the kitchen cabinet and layed there for a little bit then went into the bathroom and layed down I think shes looking for a place to give birth. I made her a place with a soft blanket but she doesn’t seem interested She’s sleeping now on my bed I will update when babies come.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah just the 3