Birman with Poopy issues.

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Community,
I am new here, switched over to the english side of Cat Internet bc German Cat forums tend to be hostile and not a big help at all sadly.

One of my Birmans, 5 y.o. Helmut has some poop issues. He is neutered, perfect weight and healthy according to the vet, whom he sees every 3-4 months. My problem is that even though his poops have the optimal shape, colour and consistency, the last end of it always seems soft and gets caught in his butt. (Even after a butt Hair trim)

Checked him for gastrointestinal stuff, since Birmans tend to have sensitive stomachs, everything good. His food is sheduled, he gets several small meals a day. In the morning I feed a very small amount of dry food by a german brand - grain free and sugar free. The wet food he gets was recommended by the breeder and was also vet approved after asking
It contains more than 70% meat and again no weird grain or plants that brands like Royal Canin use. The only thing that helped with occasional soft poop was a spoon of Kefir, which the vet also said was ok from time to time. We never had issues with runny stool though.
It feels like he is not digesting his food until the end, it leaves his body too fast. The other two Birmans dont have this issue.

Is there any way I can make his poop better? Are there any probiotics besides Kefir I can maybe use? I will appreciate any input.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Have a picture of him too ;)

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous!

Boiled pumpkin is good for cats and has extra fiber in it, so maybe feeding him some of that might help the rest of his stool come out easier? I would talk with your vet about it first though, to discuss how often and how much is ok to feed, especially if your kitty has a sensitive stomach.

Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous!

Boiled pumpkin is good for cats and has extra fiber in it, so maybe feeding him some of that might help the rest of his stool come out easier? I would talk with your vet about it first though, to discuss how often and how much is ok to feed, especially if your kitty has a sensitive stomach.

Best of luck!
Boiled Pumpkins? I am hearing about this for the first time, is there any specific kind I should use? I will talk the vet for sure, I always discuss unusual food changes with them.
Thanks for the advice :D

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Boiled Pumpkins? I am hearing about this for the first time, is there any specific kind I should use? I will talk the vet for sure, I always discuss unusual food changes with them.
Thanks for the advice :D
I just use Kent pumpkins, or the normal run-of-the-mill kind in the grocery store. If you do a Google search on pumpkin for cats, you'll find a little more info on it. No worries, wishing you the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, thanks again for your great help. I simply used pure mashed pumpkin they sell for babies, but that was a no - didnt quite like it. Mashed carrot was a big success though!