bird rescuers in southern states US

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Southern US -- Time to take a little more care in your rescues and be prepared for vets to be cautious. But we'll get through this, just as we have before. be sure to use gloves when you rescue. I always carry small boxes in the car to put them in. At least, I have since the time I ended up driving with a determined sparrow using my finger as a perch. (He recovered, he'd gotten an air blast from a passing car and just needed to rest. ) Check the boxes from time to time, damp will warp them.

Warning - most of the precautions given on the link are for birds being prepared to be eaten. This is a bit disturbing, but that's the way it's given.

"A new strain of Avian influenza that was present in Europe, only last year, is reported in the southern states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Florida.

Bird flu strains rarely infect humans, with fewer than 1,000 U.S. cases per year, according to the Mayo Clinic. The strains of the influenza virus mainly infect birds. The public must not handle sick or dead birds. People should report sightings of birds killed to wildlife officials."

Another highly pathogenic avian influenza strain invades southern states

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Southern US -- Time to take a little more care in your rescues and be prepared for vets to be cautious. But we'll get through this, just as we have before. be sure to use gloves when you rescue. I always carry small boxes in the car to put them in. At least, I have since the time I ended up driving with a determined sparrow using my finger as a perch. (He recovered, he'd gotten an air blast from a passing car and just needed to rest. ) Check the boxes from time to time, damp will warp them.

Warning - most of the precautions given on the link are for birds being prepared to be eaten. This is a bit disturbing, but that's the way it's given.

"A new strain of Avian influenza that was present in Europe, only last year, is reported in the southern states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Florida.

Bird flu strains rarely infect humans, with fewer than 1,000 U.S. cases per year, according to the Mayo Clinic. The strains of the influenza virus mainly infect birds. The public must not handle sick or dead birds. People should report sightings of birds killed to wildlife officials."

Another highly pathogenic avian influenza strain invades southern states
Birds are notorious carriers of diseases. A couple of years ago there was a dead bird on my verandah, a very strange place for one to be; so I called (don't remember where, possibly health dept.) and asked for them to pick it up. They responded in the negative to my query as to whether there were any diseased birds in my area, but I didn't want to take any chances. Usually I would bury the bird, but seeing it in that place made me wary.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Harris County - Wildlife Rehabilitators in Texas - TPWD

I emailed Montgomery County and they immediately responded. Rescue only survives by donations which they were glad to accept. Lost one of my hobbies because apartments new manage ment will not let me feed wild birds. Some of the diseases only affect other birds. I have no desire to walk on grass barefooted or eat bird food

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harris County - Wildlife Rehabilitators in Texas - TPWD

I emailed Montgomery County and they immediately responded. Rescue only survives by donations which they were glad to accept. Lost one of my hobbies because apartments new manage ment will not let me feed wild birds. Some of the diseases only affect other birds. I have no desire to walk on grass barefooted or eat bird food
That is a shame, though some bird fans do recommend against feeding wild birds for various reasons. I used to buy 40# bags of bird seed and feed the birds here so that my cats would be able to watch them. The seed became so expensive I had to stop. And I used to keep a hummingbird feeder until I learned that the red-dyed commercial mix is not good for them. The DIY sugar water went bad very quickly. So that became history as well. Fortunately, the plants that survive our extreme heat do attract birds, so we're still able to watch and listen to them. We don't have any colorful ones here except for the h-birds and jays, but I love all of the birds, colorful or not.
So many rescues, sanctuaries and rehabbers have gone down during the pandemic/loss of jobs/bad economy. It's been heartbreaking for me, as I advocate for cats every day and do all I can to encourage their adoption. In another lifetime, I used to be able to give small amounts to various cat charities, but that's had to go by the wayside, too. Still, I do all I can to encourage those who are so fortunate to get involved financially and in any other way, in advocacy.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad we didn't have a terrible freeze this winter. Year before last the pine siskin finch that is normally north flew down to Texas carring the samonia disease that only killed other finches. I had one dying from it. He kept opening and closing his mouth and no sound and very weak. Northern mocking bird,house finch,male and female cardinal,doves,and so much more!
P1000109.jpg
20170210_205441.jpg
FB_IMG_1594060497061.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bit of good news though sad too.

State officials say a strain of avian flu that can cause high mortality rates among birds confirmed at a commercial turkey farm in southern Indiana has not spread to neighboring farms