Big red rash/missing fur on his shoulder

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I noticed my cat was licking his left shoulder blade non-stop, and when I looked there is some fur missing and a red rash on his skin. His back is twitching, and now he is going at it non-stop.. We have a vet appointment but its not until Sunday so I'm worried. Could this be fleas (I can't see any)? Or is it likely to be allergies? I mainly was curious if anyone had similar experiences with this and what it could be...

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try some store-bought chamomile tea (not the garden grown variety, that can be toxic). Brew it, chill it and dab it on the area - it's antifungal, antibacterial, will ease discomfort and is safe if he ingests some.

You might consider getting a cone if the tea doesn't help calm things down;
The Cat Cone: A Complete Owner’s Guide

Are you sure you can't get him in somewhere sooner?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be many things, including fleas and allergies. The vet will have to diagnose this. Twitching indicates being bothered. Do you have a flea comb? Combing kitty over a white towel is an easier way to see the fleas. Sometimes it’s hard to see them. Even one flea bite can cause an allergy. I have two kitties that are flea sensitive. Both lose fur. The previous post by Furballsmom Furballsmom gives a great way to ease the discomfort until you get a vet opinion. Most vets have email and texting so, go ahead and try sending in that photo now. Call them as soon as you can and let them know you sent the photo. They may go ahead and get kitty seen a bit quicker.
If you have changed diet or anything else recently, make sure you let the vet know. I like to make notes so I don’t forget to tell the vet anything I have noticed. Please do let us know how kitty is doing and post back if you notice anything else or have more questions. Sending purrs!

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat haas a similar looking spot and vet said it was a hot spot, we're putting a cream on it called Thermaderm. it could also be an allergy to fleaa bites, but try combing your cat and see if you find flea dirt on him - if not, it probably isn't fleas. My vet also said that this is the season for pet eczema