Big, huge, GINORMOUS mistake!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why I do this to myself...

I was at Petsmart last night picking up some food for Holland. I see the big ADOPTION sign and decide to wander over and look at the cats, knowing full well that while I WANT another cat, I don't have the time, room, or resources at this point to get one. Ever since I adopted my wonderful little Holland, I have wanted a tortie for the next one.

So what is the first cat I see, right in the middle, at eye level? A tortie girl named Abby, about a year old, and petite just like Holland. She is GORGEOUS! I stood there and stared at her for a good few minutes until I couldn't handle it anymore. Then I went to my car and
for a few minutes.

Lesson learned. No more looking at homeless kitties until I have the ability to adopt one.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm right there with you. Petco is having their adoption event right now, and I went in for cat food last week and saw THE most affectionate longhaired girl ever. She almost rubbed herself right through the glass wall on her cage when she saw me, and when i stuck a finger in one of the air holes she licked until I pulled my finger out due to the friction (it was at least a full minute). I got her out to play with her, and she crawled into my arms and laid on her back so I could rub her belly. It was really hard for me to walk out of that Petco without her, but I feel good knowing she is so easily going to find a new home with a temperment like that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I can't go look at them either. They are renovating the adoption center part of our petsmart so the cats have been unavoidable in there. Plus the other night when we went in one of the shelter workers had a kitty on a harness in a shopping cart. My daughter LOVES to see the kitties so we ended up going by them for a few minutes and of course the girl asks me if we are interested in adopting.

There was one cat, maye 5 or 6 months old, right by the front door and my daughter saw it on the way in and got EXTREEMELY excited over it. Same thing on the way out. She didn't react that way to the other cats. Not that strongly anyway. He was a similar color to my mother's cat; the only one that lets her play with him. I went home and told my husband. He still says no more kitties till we get an addition on the house and make a room just for the litterboxes. *sigh*

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

I don't know why I do this to myself...

I was at Petsmart last night picking up some food for Holland. I see the big ADOPTION sign and decide to wander over and look at the cats, knowing full well that while I WANT another cat, I don't have the time, room, or resources at this point to get one. Ever since I adopted my wonderful little Holland, I have wanted a tortie for the next one.

So what is the first cat I see, right in the middle, at eye level? A tortie girl named Abby, about a year old, and petite just like Holland. She is GORGEOUS! I stood there and stared at her for a good few minutes until I couldn't handle it anymore. Then I went to my car and
for a few minutes.

Lesson learned. No more looking at homeless kitties until I have the ability to adopt one.
I am sorry you cried. But I am glad to hear I am not the only one who does this to myself. When we drive over to the next town to the Aldi's store, there is a pet store beside them. On Monday we went. Hubby will never go in. He knows better. But I went in to visit the cats. My gosh, they had five of the most beautiful cats you ever saw. One was a pale buff long hair talking one. There was a beautiful white cat with black spots on the face, a tortie with green eyes and a big ol yellow tom. I wanted them all. If I could have chosen, the yellow boy would have come home with me, for no other reason other than he was old. He needed a home. I felt bad when I left them. I have these two remaining cats. We have made an agreement we are through when these are gone. At that time, I think I might help PAWS and foster for them. Either that or get an old cat.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I know how you feel. I won't even go and look at them- though I was at Petsmart today with my mom and she wanted to see them.

We might have been able to take on one more. Then my neighbor brought over Jasper (who is the newest addition to the family) and he's IT. 3 is plenty. Jasper and Holly don't go out- so I have 2 litterboxes out and have room for no more.

And it's taken the poor kitty 3 weeks to come out of his shell. He's FINALLY stopped hiding under the couch when he's in. And now Holly's decided that she wants to be his BFF and just pesters him to no end. I know if I brought another animal into this house that it would set him- and probably Sneaky Pie over the edge.
Cheryl

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man, do I get it!

Exactly why I had to stop volunteering for the kill shelter. I tried switching from cat-cage cleaning and socializing to fostering to adopt-a-pet-ing. Didn't matter, wanted them all.

Now that I have 10 and just enough resources (and CareCredit for vet visits or emergency) I have to force myself to stop looking at the shelter sites on line; or one of the things I do as well as go to Petfinder and look specifically for special needs cats.

And now kitten season is just about here and the older ones, or disabled ones will be put down; it's so harrrrrrrrd!

I'm right there with all y'all!

Warmly,

Julie O'

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, am I glad I saw this thread. I thought I was the only one who drives myself insane.
For some weird reason I have been dreaming about a little black kitten (I blame the black cat thread, haha just kidding
).
But literally having DREAMS about it. Then I go and watch tv and there is this black kitten. Then what do I do look on craigslist and there is a new cageless shelter nearby having a black cat adoption event..only $11.11 to take in a fixed, vaccinated, wormed, vetted cat. There is this ADORABLE polydactyl black kitten that keeps looking at me. I keep thinking he's sure to be adopted but the weeks keep passing and he is STILL there. It's taking every ounce of my strength not to email or call her or just get in the car and head over.
I told my boyfriend it is his job to make sure I do not get this cat

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I'm in Pet Smart I always go to the adoption center. I wish I could take all those cats. I had been planning on getting another 1, because Midnight was so full of energy he was driving us and Luna nuts. Only he's calmed down over the last few weeks so my parents no longer see the need for another cat. When I get my own place, I plan on getting more cats.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww I'm sorry dear.

When the time is right, there will be the perfect friend for Holland just waiting for you.

Once you have saved up the money for your own place, you can have all the kitties you want!!!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I so know the feeling, I had went to sign up to be a member of our shelter and looked at the cats and there were three of them a little calico in particular that I still can't get off of my mind. But I know I can't talk my dad into it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to force myself a long time ago not to visit the local humane society, PetSmart, etc. "just to look" because every time I'd come out of there I'd bawl my eyes out.
I no longer browse PetFinder, either. It's just too heartwrenching. It kills me as it is not being able to take in all the strays that show up on my doorstep because they all know who the sucker in the neighborhood is and can't wait to tell all their friends.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well the trick to managing adoption days at the pet stores is

1) Avoid them OR
2) Be six cats over your "limit" already.
Exactly the same here. I know I have "too many", I'm reminded every moment of every day that my life revolves around them ("hurry up & finish grocery shopping, I HAVE to be home to medicate Lola is 45 minutes!!").

I know if I have even one more I question the financially ability to afford vet care should several emergencies arise. I mean, they would get their vet care, it would just be tight for awhile afterwards.....and I don't think it's fair to them to live like that.