Big bump

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonrisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am not a veterinarian and have not seen your cat. I can only tell you what I would do if it was my cat and I was in the same situation of not being able to get the cat to a veterinarian.

i would do a warm compress with just warm water and either a wash cloth or paper towels. gently apply it to the area where the puss is coming out. Hold it there until it cools or until he decides to leave. I would try to do this twice a day. That would be the only cleaning of the area that I would do. I would not use any kind of cleaner or peroxide or anything but warm water. I also would not mess with the area much because it is painful. I would however make sure to do that compress with warm water twice daily. It is important because you don't want the area to close up to fast and seal the puss inside. So it is best to continue draining.

There is no doubt it is painful. There aren't any over the counter pain medications that you can give to cats. It is all toxic. I have seen many good intentioned owners accidently kill their cats by giving them a pain medication that wasn't prescribed for them. Cats don't have certain liver enzymes that people do, so the medications that are safe for people can kill a cat. Even a small amount. Medications for dogs can do the same thing, So, sadly there is nothing that you can do to control his discomfort. It should actually feel better since it has burst.

It is very important that he stays inside (if it is safe for him being kept in) because he needs to heal and he won't have his senses about him and the discomfort can be distracting to him and he could easily get hurt outside. His sense of balance will be somewhat affected because of the location of the wound.

Make sure he continues to eat.

Unfortunately it will be more risky for him without antibiotics. Antibiotics are really needed for him. But I understand the situation, I think. One thing, if you can bring it up, and it is fine if you can't, once the abscess has ruptured, there really usually isn't a surgery to be done and it is often just antibiotics at that point. So, probably not expensive at all. But don't bring it up at home if you don't think it will get any results.

He may get better without antibiotics. There just isn't any way of knowing.

It is obvious that you love your cat very much. I am sorry you are in this situation where you feel helpless. But you are doing good with him by making sure he eats and it is good that it opened up.

Please keep us posted as to how he is doing.
Thank you for your advice. I have been cleaning his wound but he’s been scratching it without me noticing and it’s been getting worse. My dad said he wants to use a band aid or something to cover it?? My brother is telling him he needs to go the vet but he says it’ll cost too much. He’s eating good and sleeping well but it seems like it’s painful for him.

moonrisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We still can’t take him to the vet but his wound is getting worse. My brother and I got gauze, bandages, and iodine to cover his wound. We had a hard time getting it on him but we’re monitoring him/

moonrisen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat needs antibiotics.
That’s what I’m telling my dad, but he won’t listen. He says it might cost too much but I think me and brother have enough money.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you post a picture of the wound? Obviously a vet would be the best, but if you can't then you have to do what you can do and try to keep him from getting to the wound.
So, if he was my cat, I would

Continue with the warm compress as described in the previous post.
Don't try to bandage the wound. First off bandages and cats don't do to well together. If you can go to the pet store, some of them sell inflatable donut types of collars for cats. As long as the collar doesn't rub up against the wound, it could keep him from getting to it. You do have to keep him inside until this heals.
Second, you don't want to be holding that bacteria and drainage close to the wound like that because it needs to be able to flow out of the wound.

Hope this makes sense.

But try to post a picture so I can have an idea of how best to keep him from ripping apart the wound.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
moonrisen moonrisen You might want to order a bottle of colloidal silver spray on Amazon. Google “colloidal silver for cats” and read about the healing, antibacterial properties of colloidal silver. It’s been an excellent home remedy for pets with problems. You spray it on the wound a couple times a day to aid in healing.

Here is a picture of one such item that looks promising that I found on Amazon:

64254399-9E32-41EA-B81D-7DC7A5ACB732.jpeg