Big Boy Tod

Monicuddle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tod came into our lives one day unexpectedly and just never left. Several weeks ago, we transitioned him from a “barn cat” to an inside cat, as he always had the personality of a “hooman” lover. So far the transition has gone well. He has started spraying this past week, but he’s scheduled to be neutered next Wednesday. 🤞

it doesn’t REALLY matter - big picture - but I’m SO CURIOUS what breed(s) he might be. He’s got this gorgeous silky long coat, and a personality to die for. SO patient with my two you g children, so relaxed, cuddly but not overly demanding, he’s just a chill guy. He weighed 10.6 lbs at his first vet appt a few weeks ago, and they estimated him to be around 2 years old - though they said they would know more when they neuter based on the development of his testes.
Anyone know what breed he might be??

5B4BCB11-4F89-41BD-B843-464596C71421.jpeg
32557855-B214-4758-8B15-F4B6BE37DAD9.jpeg
A4B7DF14-3A7D-437E-A9D1-631E059F7276.jpeg
23581114-D3B7-4185-B254-13C83A2A4553.jpeg
9F47D5E4-2B9D-4EAB-B19D-FDC1A5E33B1C.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
unnamed.gif
and Tod, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
Welcome+with+Cats+Vinyl+Wall+Decal.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Tod is a handsome cat :hearthrob: :redheartpump: and thank you for taking him in and for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and safe sanctuary to live out his life:clapcat:

To find out what breed is he, you may want to post your questions here in describing-cats-what-does-my-cat-look-like.5809 where members with identifying a cat's breed may be able to help you answer your question.
Do post more photos of Tod and we have a special thread here just for him in bi-color-kitties-only.85808 and many fun threads in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful! Welcome to you both! Maybe domestic long hair but others may know more. Regardless of any other info I can tell you for sure he is a Lover Cat! Lol I am so glad you brought him in to be part of your family and I can tell he is glad too! :welcomesign::redheartpump: Thank you for sharing his pictures and his story with us. We’ll look forward to seeing you around the site and I hope we see more photos. We love seeing kitties here and we love rescue stories.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thanks for bringing Tod into your home. He's a gorgeous cat, and clearly meant to be a house cat. :catlove:

Hopefully neutering will stop his spraying. :crossfingers: Even if it doesn't, at least it won't be the strong tom cat stink. But hopefully once the hormones are out of his system, his urge to territorial spray will go away. It can take a few weeks for the hormones to totally be gone, btw. Meanwhile, make sure you use an enzyme cleaner to ensure his urine scent is completely removed, so he won't be able smell it and think it's ok to keep peeing there. Is he using the litter box ok, otherwise?

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monicuddle84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thanks for bringing Tod into your home. He's a gorgeous cat, and clearly meant to be a house cat. :catlove:

Hopefully neutering will stop his spraying. :crossfingers: Even if it doesn't, at least it won't be the strong tom cat stink. But hopefully once the hormones are out of his system, his urge to territorial spray will go away. It can take a few weeks for the hormones to totally be gone, btw. Meanwhile, make sure you use an enzyme cleaner to ensure his urine scent is completely removed, so he won't be able smell it and think it's ok to keep peeing there. Is he using the litter box ok, otherwise?

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
rubysmama, yes he uses the litter box perfectly. He’s never had a legit accident. Just the spraying, but man it’s a strong smell!! LOL

so...I’m 99% sure I know what caused it too. A neighbor down the road rescued a female kitty a while back. They’re now wanting to get her fixed but wanted her to have a litter first. (I’ve now done some reading that suggests this doesn’t have any effect on cancer risk, but not sure what is accurate...?) anyhow, she asked if the cat could come and hang out with Tod for a couple of days, and so she came over. At that time, he was supposed to be neutered this past Monday, but we are in southeast Texas and the weird snow storm hit us and that’s why we are now rescheduled for Wednesday.

Now after the cat left...THAT is when the spraying started. He had already been inside for over three weeks by then, and hadn’t sprayed at all. So now of course I’m kicking myself fiercely. I had no idea it would trigger that kind of reaction in him. LOL and I feel guilty too because I feel like it must have been cruel for him. I thought he was getting fixed two days after she left. And now I’m sure his hormones have just been raging since then. BUT I just keep reminding myself that there will be learning curves. I haven’t reprimanded him at all. Just going around cleaning up behind him. I ordered a black light flashlight so that I can make sure to clean up the spots that maybe I didn’t see happen. 🤦🏻‍♀️

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's frustrating, for sure. Hopefully once he's neutered, he'll forget all about, you know, wanting a girlfriend. Actually, neutering will take that instinct away. And hopefully the spraying as well.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Tod is a handsome boy! Welcome to you and your kitty. :)