Best Harness For Cats

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! :)
I’m going to start working on introducing my kittens to a harness soon. We’ve just begun clicker training, and all is going well so far. I just wanted to see what brand/style harness you use.
Do you like the vest type, like the “Kitty Holster” (one of the ones we’ve been looking at)? Or the kind that buckles around their neck and midsection (Like the “Come With Me Kitty”, another we’ve considered?)
I’m concerned about preventing escapes, mostly. Even though they will be microchipped before we start going out, I would hate for them to slip out and get lost. I know cats can slip out of any harness if determined enough, but perhaps a certain model minimizes the risk.
Comfort is also high on my list, as well as reasonable pricing. I’m interested to see which harnesses you use.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried both the Come with me kitty harness as well as the Kitty Holster. Both of my cats were much more comfortable in the Come with me kitty harness, but Saipha did manage to escape it. The Kitty Holster is quite a bit more secure, but I think the neck part is too long for them, so it was much more uncomfortable.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been walking our cats outside for 14 years now, so I totally encourage you to harness train too! As we started them young, it only took a short while for them to get the concept of the harness and leash and pretty soon they were demanding to go out.

The style we use is similar to this:
It's adjustable around both the neck and underarms, and we have one each for the cats, adjusted to suit them. We have their rabies tag and pet find tag for their microchips attached to the harness.
As has been mentioned, if a cat is determined (or spooked) enough, they can get out of pretty much any harness. We've had some misadventures over the years, but overall it's been a positive thing for our kitties.

ETA: not sure why that link isn't working. Here is a picture:

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using a come with me kitty style harness and my kitten almost ripped my face off.... ok that’s an exaggeration, but he hated it.

I just ordered a kitty holster which is supposed to be more “comfortable,” but we will see...

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
side jacket.jpg cat jacket bottom-1.jpg cat jacket top -1.jpg Jacket fit odd angle.jpg 201jacket head down wash pk70903_153301-1.jpg Telephone pole sniff 11-25-17.jpg

:hellocomputer: :hellosmiley: I did lots of research when we decided not to let her out on her own anymore. I chose an x-small, narrower neck Kitty Holster for Gypsy, she's about 8.5 lbs. If the Kitty holster is fitted correctly, tight enough that it is just loose enough to slide 2 fingers next to each other under the jacket, it is very difficult for the cat to escape, however you must make sure to keep NO tension on the leash and jacket if the cat is facing you. The jacket was rather stiff at first but softened up after being worn awhile. It looks short on her body but is very secure. I'm very happy with it...Gypsy not so much, as she would rather go solo.:lol: I am going to get a bungee leash rather than the one I have now. Even though I am very alert to things that would scare her, something I didn't think would bother her totally freaked her out! She took off before I could react, hit the end of the 6' leash, somersaulted and landed facing me, by then I had ran close enough I was able to scoop her up, she squirmed for a second, no claws or teeth thank heavens, and I got her calmed down. Thanks to her Kitty holster she wasn't injured since it spread the force.There are two other jackets I considered:
Mynwood Cat Jacket/Harness
and
Butterfly Cat Jackets. I went with the Kitty Holster because they said if the size was wrong I could exchange & they are here in the USA.
Let us know how things go.

:santa: Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year :deer::evergreen:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise

I bought this one because I didn't trust her to stay in a velcro vest. I wanted one that buckled and she wouldn't fit into the "cat" harnesses at the pet store. she seems comfortable in this. The only thing I don't like about it is the head part isn't adjustable, but I don't think she can get out of it.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

I bought this one because I didn't trust her to stay in a velcro vest. I wanted one that buckled and she wouldn't fit into the "cat" harnesses at the pet store. she seems comfortable in this. The only thing I don't like about it is the head part isn't adjustable, but I don't think she can get out of it.
I didn't go for that one because the neck won't adjust. If the jacket is wrapped around the body and the Velcro is fastened so two fingers side by side can fit under at neck (paid extra for a narrower neck) and and tummy it won't come loose. Just don't let the cat stay in it and have lots of time to work at getting out. Keep us updated on how things go.