Best Food For My Kitten?

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll be feeding my kitten (10 weeks old) a mostly wet diet and a bit of dry when I'm away.
For dry food I'm debating between Nature's Variety Instinct and Blue Buffalo. I've heard many good reviews about Blue Buffalo and their high protein food but couldn't find much about Instinct. Blue buffalo doesn't have anything that's all life stages and the kitten food is a tad bit pricier, which I don't mind paying for if it's exponentially better than Instinct, but if I can save a few bucks while giving her the same/better nutrition it'd be great.

For wet food I'm leaning towards Canidae's Pure Wild and Fancy Feast Classic once in a while. I'm considering throwing in Blue Buffalo once she's an adult because I want her to have some variety.

Are there better foods out there you all would recommend that isn't too expensive?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been a big fan of Blue, wet or dry. And as they were recently bought out by General mills there could be changes to the food coming. Could be for the better, could be for the worse, or no changes, to soon to say. But i think i would hesitate to get my cat on the food and then have major changes take place, or discontinued.

I think Instinct is a good food, i don't feed their dry, i feed Dr. Elseys. But if i needed to change, one of the Instinct dry foods would be in the top 3 or 4 choices. I try to feed a high protein, moderate fat, and low carb as i can. Fancy feast classics are a good starting place, then you can add or rotate in other wet foods as you want.

The cat food data base is a good place to get a general idea on a lot of foods, wet and dry.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

post a photo of the new baby when you get a chance :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never been a big fan of Blue, wet or dry. And as they were recently bought out by General mills there could be changes to the food coming. Could be for the better, could be for the worse, or no changes, to soon to say. But i think i would hesitate to get my cat on the food and then have major changes take place, or discontinued.

I think Instinct is a good food, i don't feed their dry, i feed Dr. Elseys. But if i needed to change, one of the Instinct dry foods would be in the top 3 or 4 choices. I try to feed a high protein, moderate fat, and low carb as i can. Fancy feast classics are a good starting place, then you can add or rotate in other wet foods as you want.

The cat food data base is a good place to get a general idea on a lot of foods, wet and dry.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

post a photo of the new baby when you get a chance :)
I'm a little hesitant towards Blue Buffalo too because I've heard there have been a lot of recalls in the past, but since it's still considered one of the better foods out there I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for letting me know about its recent purchase. The data base is a life saver!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little hesitant towards Blue Buffalo too because I've heard there have been a lot of recalls in the past, but since it's still considered one of the better foods out there I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for letting me know about its recent purchase. The data base is a life saver!
I dont worry about a recall here and there, basically every cat and dog food company out there has had them, and most more than one. As long as the over all history of the food is good, then im ok :) .... I do think Blue has had quite a few, and i know there have been allegations of misinformation on their labels with ingredients.

I do think instinct is a good food. another one, its to new to be in the data base, but my mom has been feeding it lately. its got a very limited ingredient list, which i do like. you might want to check it out too.

Turkey Limited Ingredient Formula for Cats - Taste of the Wild Pet Food

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently there is a class action law suit against Blue Buffalo currently and one of our members here recently posted about her cats getting sick from eating it: Have I Poisoned My Cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently there is a class action law suit against Blue Buffalo currently and one of our members here recently posted about her cats getting sick from eating it: Have I Poisoned My Cats?
Oh wow. There's always something going on with Blue Buffalo. I think I'm gonna avoid them and go with other high quality foods. Thanks for the link!