Best cat food

Kat002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are currently feeding Rachel Ray cat food, we've always fed that to out cats. We recently got a new addition and are looking for the best feeding options for her. She has a lot of gas due to anti fungal meds, and slightly weird poo. Are freeze dried raw foods good for them? I dont want to go all the way raw. I've been feeding her those as treat like things and it helped her stop going to the bathroom as much, well until she went on antifungal meds. Is the cat food im feeding good? What can I do to help have the best diet for my cats

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! :>

Regarding Rachael Ray food, I wouldn’t suggest feeding the dry — problem ingredients include meal, vegetable protein (cats are generally less equipped to absorb veg-derived proteins), tapioca (is a source of starch, which your cat doesn’t need, especially when there’s already other veg in the formulation), and generally overly-high vegetable content.

Their wet food, on the other hand, is okay as an occasional meal (as a treat), but I’d only feed it on rotation with other HQ brands of wet food that don’t contain xanthan gum (if fed for long enough, studies have shown it affects how effectively a cat can absorb protein), and have higher levels of protein with less vegetables as filler.

If by freeze dried you mean those raw foods you have to rehydrate, they can be the next best thing to raw you defrost, or very premium wet food, imo. Based on ingredients, I’d probably recommend trying out Vital Essentials out of the possible alternatives. Just make sure to take it slow while you transition, should you choose to do so! Also, make sure you feed complete freeze dried meals, rather than the treats — the latter isn’t a complete diet ^^

If giving your new kitty freeze dried treats has helped her bowel movements, it could be that the veg, or one of the other additives in the RR food isn’t agreeing with her. This isn’t necessarily the case, as there could be a lot of factors going on, but it’s definitely something to consider, imo :>

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my cats only eats Freeze Dried raw food (complete meals, not treats), rehydrated with warm water. The other eats the freeze dried meal but as treats since he won't eat them if they are rehydrated. Then he eats a wet diet composed mainly of Nutro. Personally I'm not fond of the ingredients in Rachel Ray pet food. Cats don't need wheat, corn, soy, or any type of vegetable in their diet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any type of raw food is good, IMO. Freeze dried raw is usually the most acceptable to cats. Most brands need to be rehydrated in water before serving. A bag can be pricey and might only last a week if fed exclusively, though. Dehydrated raw is another option. It's basically powder so you have to mix it with water before serving. Eating dry powder is messy and very dehydrating. Air dried raw is another option but most brands are only sold in small bags that cost like $20.

Home cooked is another option. The Raw and Home Cooked forum here on TCS has more info and ways to make such a diet super easy to do.

A good quality canned food works for most people. Rawz is one of the best brands out there but it's pricey and sold only at independent pet stores and a few authorized online stores Where to Buy | RAWZ There are other brands with good ingredients that are much more affordable: Weruva, Hounds and Gatos, Tiki Cat, Nature's Variety Instinct, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya! :>

Regarding Rachael Ray food, I wouldn’t suggest feeding the dry — problem ingredients include meal, vegetable protein (cats are generally less equipped to absorb veg-derived proteins), tapioca (is a source of starch, which your cat doesn’t need, especially when there’s already other veg in the formulation), and generally overly-high vegetable content.

Their wet food, on the other hand, is okay as an occasional meal (as a treat), but I’d only feed it on rotation with other HQ brands of wet food that don’t contain xanthan gum (if fed for long enough, studies have shown it affects how effectively a cat can absorb protein), and have higher levels of protein with less vegetables as filler.

If by freeze dried you mean those raw foods you have to rehydrate, they can be the next best thing to raw you defrost, or very premium wet food, imo. Based on ingredients, I’d probably recommend trying out Vital Essentials out of the possible alternatives. Just make sure to take it slow while you transition, should you choose to do so! Also, make sure you feed complete freeze dried meals, rather than the treats — the latter isn’t a complete diet ^^

If giving your new kitty freeze dried treats has helped her bowel movements, it could be that the veg, or one of the other additives in the RR food isn’t agreeing with her. This isn’t necessarily the case, as there could be a lot of factors going on, but it’s definitely something to consider, imo :>
I went out today looking for a new food and decided on the fromm brand. I didn't know that the rachael ray food was all that bad for them. I feed my dogs that brand and it has been good so far. Thank you for all the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats only eats Freeze Dried raw food (complete meals, not treats), rehydrated with warm water. The other eats the freeze dried meal but as treats since he won't eat them if they are rehydrated. Then he eats a wet diet composed mainly of Nutro. Personally I'm not fond of the ingredients in Rachel Ray pet food. Cats don't need wheat, corn, soy, or any type of vegetable in their diet.
I got a new type of food today! Hoping this helps her health and recovery. I feed her raw instinct freeze dried as a treat like thing or topper