Best canned wet food?

ocarinalovex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I have an 8 year old domestic shorthair that I've been struggling with in terms of diet for a while now, and my vet has been little help. She's had an issue with losing hair on her legs/tummy & excessive grooming, so I tried modifying her diet to see if that would help. Unfortunately it hasn't, but the problem hasn't gotten any worse. I've also been trying to adjust her food to help her lose weight (she's around 15-16 lbs) which I've struggled with too.

Looking for suggestions for wet foods that are good for weight control, ideally limited ingredient, and will not break the bank. Any and all suggestions/tips are much appreciated! TIA (:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Controlling the amount of calories is key for weight loss. The general rule of thumb is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Feed enough calories for the current weight to start and then slowly reduce the calories until the cat reaches the ideal weight and maintains it. This may take months to achieve to have patience :)

Here are some limited ingredient brands of food:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food

Rawz is pricey, as much as $2.99 a can in some stores, so that probably won't work for your budget except as a very occasional splurge.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you have tried different foods but what was different between them? Because if a cat is allergic or intolerant to chicken for example, all chickeny food will cause a reaction at some severity. My own cat has a few grain intolerances and most cat foods out there have them, even some/most hypoallergenic ones.

If it's available where you live, my own cat does or did fine on:

Grain free Wetfoods for Cats - Chicken

Purina Pro Plan Delicate 24 x 85g