Benjamin Moore Aura Paint

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done a lot of painting over the years and usually stick with Benjamin Moore. They produce quality products, have a good reputation, and I have a good discount account with them.
Aura is a great new product. It's a totally different kind of paint, really in a class of its own. The first time I used it, I hated it, but now I like it. Cut in the whole room first then roll, and don't over-roll each area, but work fairly quickly. Aura is meant to be used in two coats, and the advantage of it drying so quickly is you can recoat in an hour.
Be brave and learn to use the brush! Those gimmicky pads are a waste of time - I only use them for hard to reach spots like behind the toilet. I always take off the top of the toilet tank to reach behind it so as much of the wall gets painted as possible.
Have fun! I like the colour you've chosen.
FYI, BM makes a kitchen & bath paint. I would only think that's necessary to use in a room that gets steamy or greasy though. I'm assuming this bathroom hasjust a toilet & sink and no shower?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you again, everyone, for your great hints and encouragement....I haven't painted anything in over 20 years, and, I think, it's fear of messing up that's been keeping me from getting rid of the pepto bismal pink bathroom. I really do appreciate your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update - and a thank you - I'm almost done with the bathroom and have to say all your advice was put to good use. I do love the Aura paint - barely any smell (and not paint-y at all) and dries quickly. I did learn that painters tape actually has a life expectancy (about one year) and even the Ace guy says theirs isn't the best brand - of course, I had a couple old rolls and used those!

But I've been learning a lot and I love the paint color - so much nicer than the old pepto pink. I know I could do a better job next time - and again, want to thank you guys for getting me over that first fearful step, where I was sure I'd make a giant mess. It's not perfect, but I feel ok about it.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your paint job was a success.
Just a little bit of advice for anyone using paint that smells like, well, paint. When I open a can of paint for the first time, I add about 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract to it before I stir it. No paint smell.