Befriending A Feral Kitten.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.

First let me apologize for my English.

I have been feeding a feral cat for some time. Recently she got pregnant and vanished for a while. after 1 month she brought a kitten to my house. I want to tame that kitten. He hides in my car's engine. I have watched in videos that you should forcefully show them affection, hold them and pet them for some time. When he hides in the engine, I hold them by the scruff of his neck and pick him up. then I put him in my lap and pet him gently. he sits still in my lap but after a while he gets anxious and tries to escape and get back in car engine. its his favorite hiding place.

Today when I was petting him, he started howling. Then I let him go. Am I doing something wrong? I usually pet him when his mother is not around. I think he is one month old. He can walk properly and run now.

I want to keep him as my outside cat as animals are not allowed in my house. I am trying to socialize him so he can be neutered easily when he is 3 or 4 months old. His mother is a feral cat. She is very gentle but she won't let me touch her so I have not been successful in getting her spayed. There are no humane traps available in my country.

Has the mother litter trained her kitten? At what age does a mother cat teach her kittens litter training? How should I go forward from now on? how can I befriend that little kitty? How can I discourage they kitty from not hiding in the car?

Today I heard the mother cat howling like she was in heat again. Can a cat howl meaning any other thing other then heat? can she howl out of sadness? May be she is searching for her other kittens?

I was also worried that if she is in heat then she will bring other tom cats to our house. I have read that tom cats kill kittens. Do other female cats also kill kittens of other cats?

Thanks.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring them inside? Yeah, I wouldn't let him hide in the car engine, that's a dangerous habit for him to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no animals inside the house.

How can I tell if he is afraid of me or not? when I pet him he just tries to runaway. He has started meowing now in his cute voice which he has not done before. Its like he is trying to tell me to just leave him alone :). his ears remain in a standing position. I don't know if kittens have the same ear position meaning as adult cats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With ferals, you just have to keep trying. I petted my little feral kitten with a long handled duster. It took 3 days for me to be able to pet him with my hands. Then I got him on a feeding schedule that he could count on and taught him several words like his name, dinner, treat.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today another cat came in my house. I scared her off and the mother cat ran after her. Then when she returned, she stared to call her kitten and took the kitten with her. I don't know where she has taken the kitten now. I was really looking forward to take that kitten as a pet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep trying to tame the kitten and the mother with food. Then maybe you can get them into a cat carrier to bring to the vet for neutering and spaying.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is not in my house anymore. Mother cat has taken it somewhere else. I think she got scared when she saw an intruder cat In my house.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mother cat is in heat. She comes outside of my house and starts howling. When I feed her she leaves instantly. I don't know where is her kitten. Do cats in heat abandon there kittens? I am really worried about that little guy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. But I hope you can get her spayed. She will mate with her son when he's around 6 months old. It's not good for them to inbreed like that.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her kitten is not even a month old. Will the kitten survive on his own if she abandons him so early? How can she go in heat so soon? I am trying to get her spayed but she still doesn't trust me.

And do cats in heat abandon their kittens?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding him? When I found my cat Demi, he was about 6 weeks old and he couldn't hunt yet. So no, I don't think he can get food on his own yet. So maybe leave some food out twice a day and pick it up at night so the wild animals don't get it. After a kitten is weaned, sometimes the mother loses interest in them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably already know this, but kittens eat Pate canned food and Kitten dry food.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She took him away a few days ago. He was still on her milk. I am only feeding the mother. The kitten was hardly a month old.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if he comes back, he could eat some Pate if you have any. Or if you have a smaller size dry food. They also make kitten milk formulas. I hope he comes back!

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have checked my shop and they have wet food for adult cats only. They have royal canin dry food for kittens and mother cats. Is royal canin only for persian cats? It was mentioned on some packets that it was for persian cats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the shop have any Pate canned food? That's what you want because kittens can't chew the chunky kind. I think Royal Canin kitten dry food is okay. I've never tried it though.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, they don't have Pate canned food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't have anything that looks like a loaf or ground up? Like Fancy Feast Classics?