Beating the heat

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor Mogli... look at him, facing the fan and looking completely zonked out

I don't now, but come next Summer I probably will have - I hear we're in for a wet and humid one..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Part of the reason he looks so zonked out is that he managed to finagle a second breakfast from his daddy. :lol3: The heat hasn't ruined his appetite.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder... My two cats have both been eating less this summer. Maybe it's the heat. Tiny spends a lot of time in the bathtub!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Part of the reason he looks so zonked out is that he managed to finagle a second breakfast from his daddy. :lol3:

He sounds like he's part "Hobbit"  lol
He has big feet, so maybe you're on to something! They were huge when I brought him home, but he's grown into them a bit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to lay out in front of the fan, too!  However, I don't look as sleek at your kitty does.  LOL  You can set a pan of ice cubes in front of the fan and create even cooler air.  Just be sure you have something under the pan to absorb the condensation.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
FOR OUR FERAL-BORN LIVING OUTSIDE

We live in the desert where temps get over 100 degrees during the summer.  We have a garage that is insulated so it's about 20 degrees cooler than the outside.  We have a cat door for the feral-born we care for to enter the garage.

This picture shows the ice containers that I put down for the cats to use - and they do use them.  One of the feral-born (I think it's Sandee 4-Socks) has his head leaning on the ice container.

I use bleach containers, and large spring water bottles to freeze water in.  I have a refrigerator in the the garage full of ice containers that I use - not only for cooling - but for their water and food containers.

Feral-Born - About 3 of the 8, in this pic, of Pepper's First and Second Litter shown in this picture.

(This year they haven't had access because the only way I could stop their mother from reproducing (trap-smart) was to trap her in the garage with her third litter. I've been able to socialize and neuter/spay these three kittens, now she is next -  I hope!, and then the garage will be available again.)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on trapping her! Sometimes with the tricks these ferals pull, I feel like Wile E. Coyote trying to trap the Roadrunner... But hey, at least she's in the garage now.

I haven't seen too many problems here with summertime. The two or three ferals that usually hang around my university have lots of shady nooks; there are several patches with trees and bushes. That plus water (easily available in several fountains) seems to work out fine for them. If they make it near my apartment they can get food, too, but I live a ways away from the school.

Now if I could just convince the college to let me put out traps and a feeding station for them, I'd be very happy. I've talked to the institutional vet who handles the animals in the research labs, but apparently it's nobody's business. I have seen only one kitten in my time here, though. Maybe they are mostly already neutered.