Bears - Two of them

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were out walking the other night and one of our neighbors was working in his front yard. We stopped and chatted with him for a while. He said he's seen two bears in the neighborhood. It's really nothing new; a few years ago I was out mowing and saw scat. I asked Rick what kind it was and he said he thought it was bear. 

Well, Mr. (or Mr. and Mrs.?) Bear was in the garden. I found poop again next to the compost pile and we're pretty sure it's bear. They don't really scare me; we're pretty careful with our trash. Although we do put veggie peelings, egg shells, etc in our compost pile, so I suppose the animals feed on that while they can. Right now, we have some club-zucchini that I chopped a bit in the compost pile, along with some blueberries, and a bunch of egg shells and coffee grounds. And I'll be adding peach peelings to the mix this weekend. So they'll get to eat something, I suppose.

I hope I get to see them. I like seeing animals in the back yard.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so cool! The most interesting wildlife we've had in our garden are a couple of escapee sheep! :lol3: The farmer came down and literally threw them back over the fence into their field :sheep: :sheep:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE bears. ALL bears. If cats have any true rival in my heart for favorite animal it's bears. We do have Florida black bears around but I've never seen one. 

We have plenty of interesting wildlife here. I was driving DD to a sitter's house once (she was still in elementary school so that tells you how long ago this was as she is 20 now). And as we got close, I saw the traffic in the other direction had stopped. I looked to see why and saw a peacock strutting across the road. I stopped too and he kept going. He had his tail out in all its glory and he was really putting on a show. He really did a slow, exaggerated strut across the road. As he passed by the front of my car (I was first in line), he looked over at me with a "you'll wait and like it" look on his face. He took his time getting across and then everyone went on their way. It was pretty awesome. He was so beautiful. I'd never seen one out of a zoo before. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have just started with black bear sightings in Ohio.  There has been one sighted fairly close to Columbus but the area is much more rural. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Step-dad LOVES bears!  The real ones and the stuffed! 
  He needs a place in the mountains like my uncle. He has had bears walk right between their parked cars outside the house.  Me?  I'll take the sheep!  
  Our most interesting wildlife in the yard has been the bunnies.  But we have deer and foxes.  Our yard is fenced so I've never seen them right in our yard.  Plus we have neighbors dogs to discourage them. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We've had them on the outskirts of Barrie. We put up bird feeders too. Sheesh. 
That reminds me of a nature show I saw on how bears live close to people.  A couple moved from the city into a rural area that had bears.  They asked a lifelong resident where the best place to put a bird feed would be.  He told them to decide where they wanted the bears to go and put the bird feeder there.

kathyfromcanada

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That reminds me of a nature show I saw on how bears live close to people.  A couple moved from the city into a rural area that had bears.  They asked a lifelong resident where the best place to put a bird feed would be.  He told them to decide where they wanted the bears to go and put the bird feeder there.
I keep my eyes open and watch the local news for reports. If the bears get too close , then the feeders are coming down...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see bears in my neighborhood. The closest bears we have are black bears in Western Maryland. I love wildlife. Two weeks age I saw 4 deer run through my front yard.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh them bears. We see them frequently. The most recent was a small bear, probably a second year cub in our yard just on the outside of the fenced in section of the yard where my cats always lived. We took our coffee out on the porch and watched the bear for awhile. Then I opened the screen door and said "You better just go on away from here now," He looked at me and then lumbered his way on towards the corn fields. :lol3: