Baytril/Antibiotic

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy was given Baytril last Wednesday for her infection. We noticed the past few days she really does not want to eat. She will take in a small amount, but that is about it. I know antibiotics can do this, but what concerns me is she is supposed to be on this med for 14 days. I can't believe it would be good for her to eat so little for a full two weeks. We've tried treats....the water from a can of chicken, some of the small tube-like paste-y treats...and she mostly wants nothing to do with them. She will take a little bit, but that's her limit. Should I stop this med for her? I called the vet today, but he was out until tomorrow. The good news is she is not digging at her jaw and ear like she was so that part might be feeling a bit better being on the med, but this barely-eating thing is concerning.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you giving it once a day? I would definitely contact your vet when they open and discuss this with them. She might need an anti nausea medication as well. Are you giving the baytril with food? You shouldn’t give it on an empty stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you giving it once a day? I would definitely contact your vet when they open and discuss this with them. She might need an anti nausea medication as well. Are you giving the baytril with food? You shouldn’t give it on an empty stomach.
We always try to feed her prior, but she isn't eating a lot. This has been more prevalent the past couple of days, though. She's offered it, but we can't force her to eat. I'll put another call in tomorrow and ask if he has anything like that for her or something that may stimulate her appetite. She had this issue on a different antibiotic from the other vet, but we never put two and two together until now. When we stopped both meds last time, she bounced right back and acted normal (playing, wanting to go outside, etc). Today, she slept all day into the evening. We had to make her get up to try and eat.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is not good for a cat to not eat, so it’s up to you, but if this isn’t a serious infection, I would be inclined to discontinue until you speak to your vet. But, I am not a vet and can’t tell you to go against your vets orders. That is just what I would do if she was mine.