Bathing Kittens?

Angelapdx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A stray or abandoned momma kitty is in my spare room. She gave birth a few days ago and I won't be able to keep momma or kittens. I do want to raise them as well as I can so they will be happy and able to be homed easily. I have learned that I should handle them, gently and often (?) now my question is should I bathe them? If so, at what age? and with what?

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until they are 8 weeks old leave baths to Mom unless there is a need (like fleas or someone rolls on a mud pit). Once they are over 8 weeks old they can get baths with a gentle soap and warm water but I would limit it to every other week to prevent drying out their skin. Just remember that kittens get chilled easily so always dry them off after baths.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No need to bathe them unless they're covered in filth or fleas. Mama bathes them with her tongue!

If they do have fleas, the safest thing is probably blue Dawn dish soap. Here's a tutorial from the Kitten Lady about flea baths and general bathing safety:
They're so young, though. Definitely don't bathe them unless absolutely necessary.

bigbellaluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! Ive rescued 11 kittens over 5 yrs from a feral mamma in my neighbourhood. Today i have brought in 4 which i think are 9 wks old. They are set up in a spare bedroom. My question: since i just brought them in an hour ago, how long should i wait to inspect them or wash them? They are healthy and one does have soiled bits on its tail but i dont want to stress them. They are sleeping and have not used kitty litter yet so i dont know if they have diarrhea or not. Fingers crossed they don't! I just cant recall from previous rescues if i should leave them for a few hours to settle until i can a) call vet in the morning and b) i dont want to risk stressing them even more. Apologies if ive posted in wrong place. Pics from today. One of the four before i brought them in and one just a while ago (one is outside crate and seems calm). They are not crying but couple are growling and hissing. Appreciate any advice re if i should wash now or let them be. Thanks!

Attachments

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi bigbellaluna. Can't you bring their mom in with the little ones? Wasn't she taking care of them? They should benefit from their mom's care for at least 3 more weeks if at all possible. Otherwise please read the information in posts 2 and 3 in this thread. You would benefit from a personal attention to your queries if you would start a thread of your own describing your own situation.