Barbicide for comb disinfectant?

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using the "comb holder" and "Barbicide" disinfectant for my grooming combs, blades, scissors, flea combs, and basically any grooming equipment that will fit in the holder (see attached photo).
  • I rinse off each item before submersion in a freshly diluted solution (as described on container), and leave there overnight.
  • Then rinse off each item and let dry on a clean paper towel.
  • Then I discard the diluted solution and wash out the "comb holder".
My question is:
The Barbicide description does include "Fungicide", but does anyone Know that it does kill ringworm?
I have had these items in storage, and just got them out again... but hope to get a reply before cleaning them up and using them again.
The Barbicide does include an anti-rust ingredient.
I have been washing tools and lying them in a tray and over spraying them with "Rescue" disinfectant.
However, I am finding a LOT of rust developing on tools and have had to throw them out.
What is your routine for disinfecting your grooming tools?
Help/suggestions appreciated!
:)

Barbicide.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the SDS for Barbicide here: https://www.barbicide.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/SDS-KIN1-0001-Barbicide-Concentrate-6-24-19.pdf

According to the document, above, Barbicide contains isopropyl alcohol, quaternary disinfectant and sodium nitrite.
Alcohol, we know. Quat is also a good disinfectant for general use. Sodium nitrite is also a broad spectrum disinfectant. (It's also used to cure meats like ham and cold cuts.)

So... From that information, it looks like Barbicide is a good disinfectant. I THINK it should kill ringworm if used according to the package directions.

The question, for me, would be whether Barbicide is economical. It is designed for barbershop/salon use and its marketing is targeted at salons. In other words, when a customer comes into a barbershop and sees a container of Barbicide on the counter, they see a brand name that they trust.

I see no reason why Barbicide wouldn't be useful in pet grooming. If your customers see that you are using such a well recognized brand, I'm sure that they'll get the idea that you have their best interest in mind.

My bottom line would be considering whether the expense is worth it. Are there other things you can use? Are they more economical?

Since you have noticed that Barbicide doesn't cause your tools to rust where other products do, I would think that Barbicide is worth it.

If you think that your customers would appreciate the fact that you are using Barbicide and might be more likely to come back for repeat business, I say go ahead and use it. :)

BTW: After a little hunting around on the internet, I've seen that quite a few other groomers use Barbicide, too. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to research for the above link, and for your quick reply to my post.
I have downloaded the document to read and save in my "ringworm research" folder.

I agree with your train of thought and have implemented a switch "back" to using Barbicide.
Cost is no issue for me when it comes to fighting Ringworm.
I want to use what WORKS, but don't want to destroy my grooming tools in the process.

If anyone "out there" thinks/knows the Barbicide does NOT kill ringworm on grooming tools, please let me know.
OR if anyone has a "better idea" that does not cause rust I am interested in that too.

Thanks in advance to all.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dog groomer here

Get yourself a UV sterilizer. It’s a complete game changer. It’s kills virtually everything including ringworm

I also use barbercide. Here’s what I do at my salon -

I either spay or submerge depending on the tool I’m sanitizing. If submerging I never do it for longer than 10 mins. I then wipe the tool dry the best I can, then either use my HV dryer or hairdryer to blast the tool to make sure it’s fully dry.

I then put all the tools into my UV steriliser and leave them in there overnight.

Not drying fully after cleaning is what causes rusting. I’ve had this happen and the above is what my blade/scissor sharpener told me to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I either spay or submerge depending on the tool I’m sanitizing. If submerging I never do it for longer than 10 mins. I then wipe the tool dry the best I can, then either use my HV dryer or hairdryer to blast the tool to make sure it’s fully dry.

I then put all the tools into my UV steriliser and leave them in there overnight.
OH that is fabulous information! Thank you SO SO much... Now I am shopping for a UV Sterilizer, ha!
Do you have any suggestions? or links??