Bald Spot/Thin hair on Ear

lov3eden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed the little white spot on my cat’s ear about a week ago. I thought I was just a little spot where hair came out and would grow back soon. Just now I noticed the big patch on the lower part of his ear. I saw online that it might be ear mites but he doesn’t seem to have the same symptoms. Does anyone know what this could be?
C090432F-6C96-4EA0-A74F-AB8030BE08E9.jpeg
00707D83-F26A-46ED-B350-49E16B0C47DE.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Is he scratching?
Either way, I'm wondering about an allergy/possible food ingredient intolerance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Almost anything that it could be would likely cause itchiness and scratching, as asked above. Only one ear could suggest some sort of environmental allergy - something your cat does or gets into where that ear is the one being impacted. Watch for spread to the other ear, or other parts of the face.

I honestly am not sure that the white spot and the newer bald spot are the same thing. The first almost looks like pigment loss.
12 Reasons for Hair Loss Around a Cat's Ears | LoveToKnow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lov3eden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Is he scratching?
Either way, I'm wondering about an allergy/possible food ingredient intolerance.
Thank you for the reply! I haven’t seen him scratch at all but it seems he might be due to a bit of redness on the spot. He has been eating a new wet food flavor recently, I thought that might be the case so I’ve stopped giving that flavor to him for now to see if that helps at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lov3eden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost anything that it could be would likely cause itchiness and scratching, as asked above. Only one ear could suggest some sort of environmental allergy - something your cat does or gets into where that ear is the one being impacted. Watch for spread to the other ear, or other parts of the face.

I honestly am not sure that the white spot and the newer bald spot are the same thing. The first almost looks like pigment loss.
12 Reasons for Hair Loss Around a Cat's Ears | LoveToKnow
I think it might be a allergy to a new wet food flavor. I will watch closely for spreading, thank you so much for the advice + link.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I took him to the vet yesterday and they did some tests but they said it's not too bad and will go away quick!! Thank you for all the help :)
That is good! So, what did the vet say is/was the problem, and what is being done to make it go away quick? Just curious.