bald spot on back of ears

pekoepekoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a small bald spot at the back of his left ear for about a week now, when we first noticed it was a bit red (not bleeding) he didn't show any signs of pain and so we decided to wait it out. Couple days pass and the redness went away and fur started growing back.

Today, that same spot, there was a tiny red dot, the kind you would get on your skin after scratching on it too long. Few minutes pass and I see him again but this time it was on both his ears. the bald spot on his right ear is bigger and instead of a red dot, it's more like a small scratch.

there's nothing that could've scratched his ear on in our house as there's nothing that sharp in his reach. our regular vet closed down due to covid lockdowns and so I need to know if this is worth going to the emergency vet place....

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
It's very possible that this could be ringworm. Many vets offices are starting to open up again, so I'd check to see if they're taking appointments again. If not, try other vet offices first. Doesn't seem like an emergency vet visit, but if he ends up with an open wound on his ear, it could become infected.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Odds are he is itchy and scratching those areas. Keep an eye out on it to see if it continues to spread - a pretty good sign that it might be ringworm or some other fungal/bacterial issue. Does he go outside? Have you recently changed his food, litter, etc? It could be allergies. You didn't mention having any other cats, but if you do, check them as well because if it were fungal/bacterial in nature, it will likely spread to the other cats too.

Your regular vet is actually closed or just not making appts? If they are open in any capacity, you may be able to send photos to them to see if they have any idea what it might be, or at least recommend some sort of treatment to try. If you call your regular vet, do they reference any alternative vets/clinics on their phone message?

You can also try using chamomile tea bags - any grocery store variety will do as they are almost always German (you don't want English, or any additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool it to room temp, and then dab it on those spots with a soft cloth or cotton balls, multiple times a day. The tea is a soothing and healing agent, and has both anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties. It won't eradicate ringworm, but if it is just scratches, it may help to heal them. The tea is also safe should he ingest any of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoepekoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he doesn't go outside, he's strictly an indoor-only cat (he prefers indoors anyway), we give him the same food and never changed (he has a condition from a past surgery and can only eat the food I order from the vet), litter stayed the same as well. Our regular vet closed from lockdowns and they haven't given an update (they won't pick up their phones either) so it's safe to assume they're still closed. Luckily we have a friend who knows a vet that's still open and taking appointments, we arrange for him to get checked up about a week from now (when we called, they also believed it was either allergies or ringworms).

For now, we put him in a cone to prevent him from scratching his ears, hopefully, he gets better after the appointment. Thank you so much for your help though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoepekoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's very possible that this could be ringworm. Many vets offices are starting to open up again, so I'd check to see if they're taking appointments again. If not, try other vet offices first. Doesn't seem like an emergency vet visit, but if he ends up with an open wound on his ear, it could become infected.
we called another vet and after explaining his conditions they also believe it's either ringworms or allergies. we put him in a cone for now, until he gets checked up at his appointment. Thanks for your suggestions! :))