bad reaction to vaccine? kitten

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday our kitten(3 months old) got his first shots( panleuco, rabies, calcivirus i think) at about 5-6 PM. After we came back from the vet, he slept, ate very much, didn’t actually play or purr, seemed pretty calm. Last night at about 10:30 PM we tried to pet him/ hold him but he hissed and cried when we tried to do so. So we let him be, he slept all night. We thought everything would be better in the morning
He still seems really out of it, frightened almost, his pupils are dilated. He still cries when we try to pick him up and doesn’t want to be bothered. I noticed just now that he can’t walk properly and has almost like a limp, walks very slow, maybe the place where he got his shot hurts??( it was in the back of his neck)
He ate wet food in the morning, went to the bathroom, tried to actually play but got sick of it easily. Is this kind of behaviour normal after those shots? Should I be worried? I will have him monitored until it reaches 24h after shot but then I’m planning on taking him to the vet.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm sorry your kitty isn't feeling right after the vaccine shot.
Have you called the vet already to let them know what's going on?
Are you able to read his temperature and see if he's got a fever?

Years ago one of my cats had a very bad reaction to an RCP vaccine shot, she was an adult and the shot was the annual boost. Nevertheless she got sick about 10 hours after the shot.
She was fine again the next day.

Sometimes a batch or brand of vaccine can give reaction or intolerance to pets. You should discuss it with your vet in order for them to know that and take all the precautions and countermeasures to prevent it from happening again.

Best of luck to your kitty!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Temporary lethargy is more common with receiving both rabies and FVCRP vaccinations at the same time. Call the vet today and explain the behavior and for advice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes call your vet and have the reaction noted in the chart, sometimes it can build up a worse reaction with future shots. everything sounds really kinda normal, except for the walking different. Many cats are somewhat lethargic, and cry in annoyance when you try to pick them up because they don't feel well. Encourage water, it will dilute the blood and make things pass more quickly. As long as he is eating some, drinking, and using the litterbox, everything will be OK. Lethargy for up to two days is common, just as it is in human babies. If his balance gets worse or he stops eating bring him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was mistaken: he didn’t get the rabies vaccine yet, it was for herpes; i think he s supposed to get the rabies after 3 weeks.
I called the vet and explained the situation and he said that it is uncommmon for cats to act this way to this kind of shots: and maybe he actually hit himself so that’s why we can’t hold him and he has that weird limp. Moreover, he told us that he got the worm pill too so maybe that’s why he is so out of it because his tummy hurts. He told us to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.
Today at noon he seemed ok, i fed him, he drank water, he played a little, started purring and loving, slept a little on my chest and in my arms; almost back to his normal self, then he slept again. I tried picking him up he was fine with it, i rubbed his belly, no screams no hisses.
This evening we fed him his favourite food he ate a lot, did his bussines( normal) then started ignoring us again. He started hissing and crying again when we picked him up, especially when we touched his lower body. He is a semi indoor-outdoor cat so now we let him to play in the garden. He doesn’t want to stay in our garden, he goes to the neighbours ignoring our calls. He seems to be fine with other cats, he plays with them, he runs even though he has that weird limp, but when it comes to us; we can’t touch him.
I’m starting to get a little bit worried because he is the sweetest cat ever, he sleeps on my chest every night, wants to be held allllll the time so this behaviour is rather terrifying for me.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is worrying.
It seems like he's mad at you and he's telling you this by ignoring you and going to the neighbor's house.
I don't think it's the worm med, there must be something else that needs to be investigated.