Back leg weak after being neutered

Lara42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat in on Wednesday to be neutered. Obviously when I got home with him he was really wobbly from the anesthesia. The next day, we noticed he was kind of dragging his left rear leg. We gave it another day and since he was still doing it we called the vet. We took him in and they gave me 5 days of pain meds since it looked like he had a reaction to the anthestsia. They said they put it in the left leg. He still isn't acting right. His leg isn't getting any better. Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue. Wondering if I need a second opinion.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is clearly not anything common. Not on the list of common risks I've seen, and I found almost nothing re: neurological side effects searching. Could do a more focused search if you knew what drug was administered, but in general I think this is a vet issue, and yes, you might want a second opinion if its been much longer than 3 days. In my inexpert opinion, the pain meds sound like "I have no flipping idea so here, take this while we wait and see what happens."

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like some sort of reaction... I would be seeing another vet. He likely needs an antihistamine at least, perhaps an autoinflammatory, not just pain meds.

Definitely not a common reaction. I would also ask the vet that did the procedure for the name of the drug they used (which they legally have to give you, I believe) so you know to avoid it in future.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with all the advice already given; in the VCA article on anesthesia and cats, they do not mention what is happening to your cat. They also state that only 1 in 100,000 cats has a reaction and that you are in more danger driving to and from the hospital for the surgery than you (the cat) are from the anesthesia.
Anesthesia for Cats

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be they tweaked a nerve when they injected the anesthesia - I’ve seen it happen once to a dog. However, the nerve should be better by now so whether it’s a damaged nerve or a reaction to the anesthesia, time for more follow up.