Baby stuck in birth canal

Catlover1017161

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There’s a feral cat my mom has started to care and is currently giving birth. The cat mom has a baby stuck in her birth canal and we’re freaking out. All the vets are closed because it’s father’s day and the cat mom looks like she’s exhausted and dying. Any advice on how to pull the baby out and save cat mom?
I’m not on the same country as my mom right now but i’ve been trying to help virtually bu calling clinics and googling.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There’s a feral cat my mom has started to care and is currently giving birth. The cat mom has a baby stuck in her birth canal and we’re freaking out. All the vets are closed because it’s father’s day and the cat mom looks like she’s exhausted and dying. Any advice on how to pull the baby out and save cat mom?
I’m not on the same country as my mom right now but i’ve been trying to help virtually bu calling clinics and googling.
Ouch! Which country is the cat in?
City to help with googling?

The standard is to try to to draw the kitten out simultaneously as the mom pushes.

But when momma is too weak to push??

If momma still eates or drinks anything, give her something calcuim rich. Whatever you have at hand, and what she takes. Egg shells, crushed into a fine powder, is probably the most forcefull in a human household.
This because lack of calcium may cause weak labor.

Give her glucose sugar. this gives quick energhy. do it whatever you do in else; evne if you DO find a vet. If you dont have glucose sugar proper (difficult to get in USA,) anything which contain much glucose. White caro syrup, honey,. If nothing else, common table sugar will do. (have a thick water-sugar solution; warm up the water so sugar will solve better))

This will be typically, you put in some droplets on the gum inside of the lip. You may repeat after a while.

And yes, give water (water with glucose sugar and a trifle salt). Perhaps with a dropper, if she isnt able to drink herself. dropwise, in the corner of the mouth.

Last, as there is no vet. Is there any experienced rescuer or breeder nearby?? Or some experienced momma of many children? Someone whom is crafty and used to find solutions if difficult situations??

Perhaps a human doctor is willing? Or a nurse used with emergency care??
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover1017161

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom and her neighbor was able to pull out the cat by massaging with olive oil. They also gave her water with honey and another neighbor gave her vitamins. She looked better and even moved to a different spot. However she still had anothrr kitten inside that was most likely dead. Nothing was open so my mom waited until this morning to take her to a vet.

The vet confirmed she had a dead kitten inside her and she has an infection because of that. They will do surgery on her and sterilize her. She’s currently in the vet still ans we’re unsure of her state of health.

Also more info on the cat: The cat originally belongs to my mom’s neighbor but she is seriously neglected so my mom has tried to care for her at the capacity she can. This is in Mexico. The cat actually gave birth 3 months earlier and this is her second litter of the year. Both times she climbed up my mom’s bed to give birth, she probably felt safe with my mom. The neighbors will not be paying for the surgery bc they don’t have money apparently. My mom will be keeping the cat after this.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What you did was the advice I would have given, only I’m not a vet and was too scared to say! Good on you, you might have saved Mom‘s life! (All I could think about was that bit from the James Herriot books where he has to deal w/ a breech for the first time…same sort of scenario…lots of lubrication and gentle manipulations with the contractions!).