Baby Kitty's End Stretch..... Possibly??

MommaWusE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190412_135427.jpg
20190412_135427.jpg
20190412_135427.jpg
20190412_135129.jpg
So my sister and her family moved to our hometown in the first week of February from Colorado she had a 5 month old kitten got out about February 6th got her back in February 7th after one of their new neighbors found her we realized about a month ago that she was officially pregnant so I'm guessing there was a few tom cats outside that got a hold of her I've been coming to my sister's house the past two days checking on her because she's been I wouldn't say restless but she gets up watch the couple steps and then laid back down goes to sleep and repeat today has been kind of different rolling over on her side not really being able to lay on her stomach no contractions as I can see but she does not want to leave my side. her kittens were moving around a lot yesterday today it doesn't seem as much but I did post a couple photos with this so any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its about 5 weeks now, yes? Its too early for anything visible. But you say you saw the kittens move inside?? This must mean, she got preg way earlier... The Colorado toms did it! Your local toms MAY have added, as its rare but fully possible for a female to carry two different litters at the same time, and deliver them several weeks apart... With a liittle luck both healthy.

OK, we can assume she got preg earlier, about 9-10 weeks ago.
And you dont feel the kittens move any longer probably because she has dropped now, ie the kittens wander down into birthing positions. There they are more squeezed and cant move as much...
The delivery comes soon now, at most 2 days away.

Prepare as well you can and wait. Be sure you know where the emergency vet is, and have some gears ready, as goats milk or KMR... A little needleless syringe, etc.

Young mothers usually manage OK, but they may be unsure what is going on the first day, and you must help her out, if necessary.

M MommaWusE

Ps. I realize now I have mixed up the dates and time somewhere. Its not 5 weeks now, its the full 9 weeks, so this is a normal pregnancy going onto delivery, started by your local toms. No hint of any double pregnancy either. Sorry! Mea Culpa!
The overall advices and remarks as such stands fast, of course. Just not this especial timetable.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MommaWusE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. sorry I may have said some words that confuse everyone reading that they moved here the 1st of February and she got out the 6th and was found and brought back inside the 7th. she isn't moving around much she walks and then lays back down and goes back to sleep just kind of keeping an eye on her I called the vet's office they let me know everything that should have on hand so I ran to the store and picked it up from a sister thank you so much for responding just scared that something might be wrong my niece and nephew couldn't handle it if something happened to their baby kitty.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would help her get ready by setting up a nest for her in an isolated place away from other pets. A large box on its side, blankets in the floor of a open closet etc. when a cat is in labor they will naturally seek out such a place.

MommaWusE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't like any of the little boxes we have made. I am staying the night over here at my sister's and took her with me to the guest room in the basement. My niece and nephew can be very out there rambunctious lol she won't leave my side. She seems to be breathing heavier or faster but not panting. I wish I could post a video here lol. Thank you for the response.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as prelabor. Prelabor may be quite long, even 24 hours. The active pushing labor is much shorter than in women, under one hour. IF she pushes without results more than 30-40 minutes its emergency, you need vet help...

Its common cat mommas take their prepared nest first in the last moments, or even AFTER the delivery. Their instinct tells them no to take the nest too early, so it wont get smelly or flea infested too early.

But good there ARE nests prepared. :)

ps. My advices so far are adequate, but I realize my time count was faulty. Its not 5 weeks now, its the full 9 weeks now. "All 13 yards" as the saying goes...

MommaWusE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is meowing like crazy now. I don't see any babies movements or contractions but she seems quite disturbed. Oh my goodness I have never done anything or seen anything like this... Drooling in scaredness

MommaWusE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So baby kitty had her kittens started at about 1 I believe there's another one inside there I can kind of feel it but not sure if maybe I'm just psyching myself out but there are six viable her first one was a stillborn and they are rambunctious and fighting over nipples and just the cutest things ever and so proud of her. baby kitty didn't make one single noise caught up in the bed with me her water broke and hasn't made a noise sent I needed to help her a little bit opening a sex and getting the kittens breathing because you just didn't know what to do was very scared of the first viable one but she's doing great so far cleaning them letting them eat I just want to say thank you to everyone who helped me out on this journey of waiting for these babies to come my last question would be how will you know if she's completely done.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes its difficult to know if she is done or not. Esp as she is often swollen in the vomb, so it seems as if one is still there...
But the recipe is easy: if she is OK, no visible troubles, you just wait and see....
The same advice really if you are SURE there is one left.
As long as she is OK and well, you observe closely but can wait and see...

If they fight for the nipples too much, you will perhaps need to rotate them, half on half off... Prepare an little extra nest with a warming pad in there...