Avoidant cat suddenly meowing constantly, obsessing over pregnant cat housemate

SushiMooshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a rescued 2-3 y/o Persian tortie, Sushi, who is a very avoidant, anxious and fearful girl. Very much a loner, runs away from her human family, and doesn't really enjoy the company of us or her cat friends (4 cat household), including pets or grooming from me or the other cats. My other female, 2 y/o himi Luna is pregnant, not sure how far along but definitely close (accidental breeding, male has been neutered since). Today, Sushi has been incessantly meowing and trilling, and is obsessing over Luna. This is extremely out of the ordinary. She is typically quiet and doesn't really interact much with any of us, including the cats. She has been grooming Luna, and allowing Luna to groom her, almost seemingly in a maternal way? They are currently together, under my son's bed cuddling and grooming each other. Sushi is intact, but I don't think she is in heat. Her meowing and behaviors are not typical for her cycles.
My husband suggested maybe Sushi can sense Luna is going into labor. Could this be a sign? I am delighted they are together, grooming and cuddling each other, but it is just so against the norm that I am almost concerned for Sushi! Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Luna doesn't necessarily have any outward signs of beginning labor.

I am new to the site, if I should post this under pregnant cat care, please let me know. Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, its apparent the pregnancy awakened sisterly / motherly instincts in Sushi... Here its verry good and lucky... :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since Sushi is intact, her own hormones are being stimulated by Luna’s pregnancy and hormones, and she is “helping” Luna by offering maternal comfort. She may want to lie with her once the kittens arrive, and don’t be surprised if her own milk comes in and she shares nursing and cleaning chores with Luna. As long as Luna doesn’t mind, the arrangement should be fine. Sister cats often co-parent kittens!

Anyway — yes, Luna is likely very close to labor and Sushi senses this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SushiMooshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE
Sushi was in fact sensing her sister Luna's impending labor! All day yesterday, Luna and Sushi would call for me to follow them to the nesting box. This went on, even though I truly saw no signs of labor in Luna. I'd be called, sit with them a while, decide nothing was happening, leave, rinse and repeat. Then, around 10 pm Luna came into the living room with such an urgency I knew it was time! As soon as I got seated next to the box, she birthed her first baby! I stayed with Luna, and Sushi who was such an amazing support for Luna, all night long, and by 6 am this morning, there were 7 beautiful babies! I believe she has finally finished, however I thought she was done originally after 2 lol!
Luna has moved them quite a few times, so as to not lose any or have them in an unsafe place, I have moved her into a small kennel with her babes and plan to let her out every so often for food water and litter breaks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would leave the door to the kennel open so that she has easy access to her food, water, and litter.

Seven kittens is a lot, so you need to weigh them daily and keep a log. The kittens need to gain 6-10 grams a day. If not, you may need to supplement with formula or rotate nursing in 2 groups every 2 hours — the 3 smallest and the 4 biggest. The group not nursing is kept warm in a separate nest with a heating pad set on low under a blanket.

It’s awesome that Sushi was a comfort. Has she been interested since?

Luna’s hormones will settle down in a day or two and she should stop wanting to move the kittens. Cats in the wild move kittens so the scent from birthing does not attract predators. It’s instinctual.

Is this small kennel large enough for Luna to comfortably fully stretch out to nurse? Do you have a larger nest they could be moved to in a day or two that is not so enclosed?

S SushiMooshi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SushiMooshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am afraid to leave the kennel open since I have 3 other cats in the house, and a dog that I'm not sure how would react to the kittens. I also don't want her to move the babies somewhere unsafe or inappropriate. I'm working on clearing the storage room to put them in there, but that won't be ready for a couple days.

Do you have any advice on what i could use in order to tell the kittens apart so as to keep an accurate log? I intend to go to the store tomorrow morning and can grab something but not really sure what.. I also intend on getting kitten formula as a precaution.

Sushi has not been very interested since Luna finished her labor, however she has stayed in the room with us which is unusual for her. I feel she's keeping an eye out from a distance lol.

The kennel I'm using is just large enough for her to stretch out but only in length not width. I am going to buy a larger kennel while at the store.
Thank you so much for your knowledgeable and caring responses!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am afraid to leave the kennel open since I have 3 other cats in the house, and a dog that I'm not sure how would react to the kittens. I also don't want her to move the babies somewhere unsafe or inappropriate. I'm working on clearing the storage room to put them in there, but that won't be ready for a couple days.

Do you have any advice on what i could use in order to tell the kittens apart so as to keep an accurate log? I intend to go to the store tomorrow morning and can grab something but not really sure what.. I also intend on getting kitten formula as a precaution.

Sushi has not been very interested since Luna finished her labor, however she has stayed in the room with us which is unusual for her. I feel she's keeping an eye out from a distance lol.

The kennel I'm using is just large enough for her to stretch out but only in length not width. I am going to buy a larger kennel while at the store.
Thank you so much for your knowledgeable and caring responses!
I have seen breeders have often something colorful around their necks.. A plastic band or something. Otherwise you can paint some food paint on their nails (and repeat the color now and then, because momma will tend to lick them off). If necessary, you can perhaps cut off a little fur.... on oen from the left side, on nest in a pair from the right side...