Atopica Long Term?

inna-catmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 year old started itching/ having bold spots a year ago. We did everything: Steroid shots, then Prednisolone, blood test, several diets, dermatology consult, tried Apoquel and tried Atopica capsules. He hated the capsules and was super depressed/hiding. PS, 1 year later I decided to give Atopica another try, this time liquid. He got better immediately even though they tell you it takes weeks. His hair is all back and he is just so active and happy. Does he like taking the medicine? Of course not, but we manage. He was on daily Atopica for almost 6 weeks, and I took it slow to go to every other day. I am still watching him to see if this dose is enough, so we will stay on every other day for at least a month until trying less frequently. I have few questions for anyone who has had a kitty on Atopica long term. Any long term issues? How often do you check blood work? Also, since my cat hated all diets we tried, we went back to his old food, but I feel super guilty as I assume that's what is causing his allergies and works against what the medicine is helping. On the other hand, should he be miserable on a diet that still didn't work 100%? Any word of advice is greatly appreciated!

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the allergies he has- or rather the old/original food you’re giving him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inna-catmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the allergies he has- or rather the old/original food you’re giving him?
The old food is Royal Canin and Purina Pro, he was super picky since he was a kitten, I went through many many food, he likes cut up pieces in gravy, no pate. The blood test showed allergy to beef, milk, flaxeed (every "good" and many Rx foods have flaxeed in them), but I suspect he is allergic to poultry, peas and Guar Gum- this was my best guess but it was almost impossible to find food that doesn't have any of these ingredients and that he would eat. We tried Royal Canin hydralized and Hills Z/D, he actually ate Hills, but was still itching.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So with the allergy test result, I assume
You’ve seen a cat dermatologist?
Sorry asking more question than helping bc just want to make sure we’re on the same page.

I don’t know anything about atopica but do have an itchy cat that we resolved without medication by removing the allergen from
Her diet. though we have speculation onwhat it might/could be for sure so slowly testing things out until a red flag goes off....

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inna-catmom inna-catmom They say the food allergy tests are very inaccurate and shouldn't be relied on for food allergies ( my vet and vet dermatologist) said the same thing. The best way is with the food elimination diet

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been going through this for month. Once her elimination diet is up I’m switching her to raw to see if that help. We have had no luck so far with anything else. I haven’t taken her to a derm vet since there are none within a few hours of where I live. I’m considering trying a holistic vet.