At What Point In Pregnancy Can You See/feel Kittens Move?

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new here.
I am a foster carer for a local cat charity and have my first pregnant stray in my care. She was brought in only a week ago and was visibly quite pregnant then.
Vet checks were all good and he said she was "over halfway".
Now my question is - the last couplc of days I have felt and seen the kittens physically move, online tells me that happens around 7 weeks but if that was the case would the vet now have told me so rather than giving me the impression she's only just over half way?
Can you see/feel earlier than 7 weeks?
I have everything ready so it's not a case of not been prepared but I guess anticipation is creeping in as this is my first time.
Thanks in advance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s probably in her last couple of weeks if you are seeing kitten movement. That’s when it’s normal to see it.

Do you have a nest set up for her in a private area? Is she eating plenty of wet and dry food?

Thank you for fostering! Wait until you fall in love with the kittens! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she has a large dog crate set up with everything in there.
Eating and drinking plenty.
I've fostered for a fair while, have had litters of kittens trapped from colonies but never experienced birth or pregnancy for that matter.
So you would say she possibly has another 2 weeks or there abouts to go?
I was expecting more like 4 weeks after the vet visit but then seeing the movement sent me googling and like you was saying around 7 weeks pregnant.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I agree with Sarthur2, I think it sounds like she should have about two weeks left. That’s usually when you can start seeing or feeling movement.

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 1 week and a half away from her duedate and I can finally see and feel babies moving I feel like I have waited forever lol

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I posted on the 18th June about a pregnant stray that I am currently fostering and about movement etc.
You were all very helpful but the waiting game continues.
Today I have noticed that her belly is absolutely solid, particularly at the sides. Could this be the sign of things starting?
I haven't noticed it be this solid before, she has also been inside her nest today briefly twice, never been in before preferring to just snooze ontop of it.
We have zero idea of dates, only thing I have to go on is then I felt/saw movement which was around the 18th June.
Many thanks in advance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s nearing the end. It’s normal for the belly to get hard at this point. It really could be any time now or a few more days, but she’s getting ready! :)

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, when I first felt it I wondered if it was a contraction but it didn't relax back and has stayed solid since so definitely not. She had diarrhoea earlier too but it still happily eating.
The waiting game continues lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats have diarrhea towards the end too as their hormones gear up for labor and delivery. :)

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard belly was clearly a sure sign things were moving, started at 7.30 this morning and we so far have 3 babies

Tobychops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finished and very content with her 4 babies :-)