At What Point Do I Need To Get Worried About New Kitten Not Eating?

newkittyowner251

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a kitten I had for just under two days now. He got really spooked and scared of the transition into the new space and he is currently confined to a bathroom. I come in and visit with him very often, talk to himx etc., but he hasn’t come out of the crate and hasn’t used litterbox. As far as I can tell hasn’t eaten or drunk any water.

At what point does it become an emergency situation? I am a cat/kitten novice and am really worried. Thank you!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd give it no more than 2 days before taking the kitten to the vet. Are you feeding the kitten the same food he was eating at the previous home? is it canned food or dry food?

I wouldn't visit the kitten too much if he's already super stressed out. A few times a day is plenty even if it's just a quick check of the litter box and food and water bowls. If he doesn't want to play, don't force him.

Does the bathroom have a window? If there's no window, leave a nightlight on so the kitten isn't in complete darkness all the time. Drape a dark towel or blanket over the crate so the kitten has a dark spot to sleep in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner251

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I am feeding him the same food he has been eating. It is canned food, but I can try dry as well.

The bathroom doesn’t have a window, and I keep the light on during the day, but there is a fan that comes on automatically with it. So I have been switching it off too, so kitten can keep hearing voices, etc. Maybe I will then prop the door open, so the light comes in from the hallway. The kitten doesn’t seem to want to come out at all. It seems like he is very skittish.

Is it possible for kittens to just not get adjusted to new surroundings? It’s only been a couple of days, but I worry about the stress it’s putting on him...

Thanks again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fan noise might be adding to your kitten's stress. I recommend using a plug in night light instead of the ceiling light / fan.

Some kittens are slow to adjust to their new surroundings. Was the kitten socialized by the previous owner? Is it possible to get a littermate so your kitten has a familar face to play with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner251

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again for your responses and help: I started keeping the door open and he ventured outside the crate at least once. He saw me and got spooked, but didn’t run, and went right in the crate again. He is still there, though he is letting me reach in and pet him. He ate some kibbles I put in the crate. Maybe there is hope still he would adjust?

So previous owners told me they socialized him, but he is skittish. Talking to them after the fact, it seems all they did was open the door and let the litter of kittens play around while they were home, and then put them in a separate room while they were away.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take more than one kitten, as I thought one is a big responsibility for a novice kitty owner such as myself. At this point all of them have other owners, and I won’t be able to take another one for company.