At What Age Can You Really Give Kittens Away?

Vien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’ve been taking care of a litter of 5 kittens, they’re 25 days right now and they’re doing good. I feed them kitten milk (they’re all abonded, or their mom passed away) and I have an older cat around who’s around them to help them out. I know people say you need to wait at least 8 weeks, but is it really not possible for them to be given away sooner? I’ve found homes for them and 3 of the kittens will go to one owner, would it be really bad to give them away at 6 weeks if they’re still together or will the other 2 (one will stay with me and one will go to a loving home) develop social problems?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should all stay together for at least 8 weeks. I would not rehome the solo kitten until at least 10.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Here's the thing. When kittens stay with an older cat like yours until 10-12 weeks, their systems are better developed to handle life, food, fight off illness etc, plus they are given the opportunity to learn a lot more about how to be a cat. They end up with better manners, and are more capable felines all the way around.
It's better for the kittens not to rush things if possible. It will matter a ton to the future lives of these kittens :redheartpump:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course one CAN give away kittens at any age (though it may be illegal in some places to remove them before 8 weeks). But it's not a good idea. Kittens learn a lot of cat lessons from their mother. And their siblings, too, so it's good that 3 are going together, but they still need to learn from their mother. I wouldn't let those kittens go until 8-9 weeks. Any kittens that are going to a home without other kittens should stay with their family for at least 10 weeks, 12 is better.

Really they make much better pets this way! Also they won't be so fragile when they go their new homes.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe that 8 weeks in this case should be the minimum. I do understand that they are orphaned and although you have an older cat, they really aren't benefiting from this like they would their mother.
However, if you wait until at least 8 weeks, you can make sure that they are eating properly and are using the litter box. This will ensure a better future with their new owners as they will have established good habits.
6 weeks is a little young for them to develop socially. Give them the extra 2 weeks together.

Hyda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 to 6 months, thats usually the age where they no longer need their mom, 25 days is wayyyy too soon, not everyone can take care of kittens that young plus people might dump them later because they "bite" or "play aggressively"