At My Wits End With 2 Cats, Litter Box Antics

catman begins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So recently one of the two cats has decided that the other cat can't use either of the two litter boxes, and literally lays in the doorway, guarding it. I have found catpoop behind the couch and today, for the second time this week, the bullied cat peed on my shower mat. What can I do to solve this problem? It is getting ridiculous.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you put another litter box in a different room or on a different floor.......the bully cat cant be in 2 rooms at once.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I am sorry to hear this.

The first thing I would do is add litter boxes in other parts of the home. So that there is access to others.

How long have you had the cats?

How does the one cat (that is being blocked from the litter box) acting? Is the cat walking around confidently or cautiously? Tail high or down? Is the cat going everywhere or hiding?

Have they been fighting at all?

But most importantly we need to build the confidence of the cats and to associate them with positive things. Confident cats are less likely to bully or be bullied.

We build confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love. So I want you to step up play with both cats (separately if possible) starting near areas of the blocking and playing around the house. If time is a constraint then play with the cat that does not have access to the litter box. After a good play session feed either treats or a meal. Play by the area near where the blocking is happening. Also, if you see the cat blocking the path to a litter box bring a toy over and lure the cat away from that area. Play a good session with the cat and feed. Make sure the cats can go high in the world on cat trees. If you can add a cat tree so they both have access to one that would be good. Also, some scratching posts. Finally make sure both cats are loved. Use food to associate them with good things (so feed meals and treats with them near each other). If one starts focusing on the other distract the cat in any way you can (with food, or play etc). Make sure you stay calm and confident around both cats. Cats take on our emotions so the more confident we are the more they are. Try to make every encounter they have with each other as positive as possible. If one starts bullying distract with something positive like food or play. Our goal is for the cat that is getting blocked to feel like the other cat is not a threat or an issue. When the blocked cat starts being more confident the blocking cat should back down. But we want to make it as positive as possible.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions and update any time. If we build their confidence they should get along better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman begins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Theyve been fighting, particularly around my bedroom. The bullied cat sleeps on top of a Sterilite storage drawer on top of a chair, or, out of harm's way. They have actually lived together before, with no issues. Now suddenly after 2 months of cohabitating these issues are occurring.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. That is helpful.

So we really need to build their confidence and associate each other with good things (especially food) and to make sure every encounter is as positive as possible. So if they start looking like they are going to "get into it" distract with food or play or just calling their name. Anytime a bad situation is avoided it is a positive in their relationship and it builds more confidence.

As the cats get more confident then they will feel more secure and less need to bully. And a confident cat is less likely to be bullied because the other cat says "I am not messing with them".

Start playing in your bedroom. Really good play sessions. Also, makes sure there are plenty of places in there for them to hang out (warm, comfy bedding), maybe scratching posts or cat tree. ANything to give them places in there to coexist and not be battling for places.

I am guessing the bullied cat runs away. When a cat runs away they act like "prey" and the chasing gets worse. A more confident cat holds their territory and therefor doesn't act like prey (or weak) and the chase doesn't happen.

Don't worry, we will get through this. We need to build their confidence and security through Play especially and associating each other with good things trying to make every encounter as positive as possible. If the bully looks away from the other cat that is a big positive. We want to distract the bully (in a positive way) if the bully is focused on the other cat. And the more the bully looks away and doesn't bully the more confidence the other cat will have. And the more confident the other cat is the less likely they will be chased.

We sometimes never know how these things happen. An intact feral could be coming around and it could be "redirected aggression". There could be stress in the household causing them unease and therefore more on edge. It could be a lot of things but confidence building and positive association and positive encounters will help this situation enormously.

Don't worry, I will be with you every step of the way and we will get through this. Please ask any questions, I am happy to help.