Asymptomatic cat can spread rabies?

katokato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read that a cat can show symptoms from 10 days to 1 year (depending on where they were bitten), so let's suppose my cat is rabies but she won't show symptoms until 1 year has passed. Can I get infected by her within that year?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but from what I understand, I don't think so. However, the very best thing to do is to keep the rabies vaccination for all pet dogs and cats current/up to date.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think the incubation period can last as long as a year. But some articles that I read did say it could be up to 24 weeks, with the average timeline normally being around 4-6 weeks.

I also read that a bite by an animal during the incubation period does not carry a risk of rabies because the virus has not yet made it to the saliva - which is what facilitates transmission. Rabies travels through the nerves to the spinal cord and brain. When it reaches the brain, the virus multiplies rapidly and passes to the salivary glands. That is when symptoms usually start to appear, and when an animal can transmit it to others.

A few articles for you in case you would like to read some source material that I have read.
Rabies in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, & Prognosis - All About Cats
Rabies in Cats | PetMD
The Path of the Rabies Virus | Transmission | CDC