Asthma and and Herpes and Pregnant - Oh my!

A_Wild_Buttons_Appeared_!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"She has asthma, herpes, and she is pregnant and I am very worried." I'm having flashbacks from my college days, but this time unfortunately I am talking about Buttons, my 18 month old domestic shorthair. She has had herpes virus since very she was a small kitten but besides an occasional cough she will develop and very light eye discharge which I keep removed for her she doesn't seem to have issues too often. She does have asthma though and I am getting her an AeroKat at her next vet appointment. The immediate concern for me is that buttons is about to have a litter of kittens, and I mean SOON. Like the next 24-48 hours. Something (likely the pregnancy) has lowered her immune system and caused the Feline Herpes to flare up something awful and in the last day a thick crust has formed in her nose and she is having to breath through her mouth. I am worried that if she goes into labor before morning the stress from giving birth could trigger an respiratory attack and with her being congested as she is that she could die. Normally her asthma attacks last no more than 30 seconds but I am very very worried about her and I am afraid the vet won't help me on credit. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I have let her stand in the bathroom for 10-15 min intervals to breath in steam but it doesn't seem to have loosened it up any. Please help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats who have compromised immune systems from leukemia, have not had the herpes virus since I started them on DMG by Vetriscience. They got it regularly before that. You might order some from Walmart or Amazon. In the meantime see if your vet will issue you a prescription for Albuterol or some other aerosol asthma medicine, ask if it's OK for the unborn kittens! There may be something over the counter now at Walmart too, I'm not sure, but make sure you clear it with a vet. they have a 'mask' that you can put up close or over her nose and let her breathe in the medicine. You 'preload' the mask and hold it up to her. if she just won't do it, I put them in a cardboard box, spray in the medicine, and let them breathe it that way. or if she will let you cover her with a blanket, spray it under there. but make SURE you do anything under a vet's supervision, I don't know how this will be with a pregnant cat! Since she is so close to delivering, I would take a warm, wet rag and clear the crust from her nose, and continue the 'steam' txs in the bathroom. PLEASE keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The steam helped her clear her mucus from her nose. You should have seen the thing. I was impressed that he was once in her head. Afterward she ate a bit and has been a Hydrating. And now finally she has gone into labor. I’ll be here with her throughout the night. Any tips are appreciated.
image.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for a safe delivery....the main thing is, as long as she is calm and taking care of the kittens, she is fine. If she is stressed, meowing, and not delivering after an hour of labor, call a vet. Please keep me informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens arrived safely. Four of them to be exact. and and they are all sound asleep. Could t have went better.
7DC880C6-6F1C-440A-97AD-888A0264C670.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad all is well. Your cat may need an antibiotic to clear her upper respiratory infection (URI). Hopefully the kittens do not catch it.

Please plan to get your cat spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old and do not let her outside or around intact males until then.