Assistance or Advice for loss of dominate feral cat.

KaritaL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and thank you for reading, I guess I just need a little help in knowing what steps to take next.

A little backstory. I take care of a small colony of feral cats. They're all fixed, have indoor shelter, protected outside environment, heated beds, access to continued food, water, you name it, they have it. I mean, my husband even makes cat trees for them. They're well loved. My family and I have taken care of these cats since 2015, and it's been a wonderful, rewarding experience to get to know each of their personalities. Last week the main dominate male cat, who we just simply called Stripes, one moment he was fine, the next he wasn't. We managed to get him to the vet, who gave us the bad news that the best solution was to end his suffering. We figure he was about fourteen to sixteen years old.

Now Stripes, he was the main cheese of the feral colony, and he'd become my buddy. I miss him greatly, even more than that, I am now confused and worried that I've lost the ability to get close to one of the cats, Pogo. You see, when I go outside (which is often), I call out to them, usually a 'hey babies' or such, and they all come running. There's one in particular, Pogo, she'll pause and look around, tail in the air. Before Stripes passed, she'd wait for Stripes to come up from where ever he was having fun, and they'd both come over together for scritches. This was the only way that I was able to tickle Pogo under the chin, or give her any form of physical affection. I know. I know. Having feral cats isn't about getting to give them loves, it's different, but it was still such a special relationship that I had with Stripes and Pogo.

This was a routine that we had, when I went outside and called, here they'd come, and if Stripes took a bit, Pogo would hang back until he came up; and then she felt safe to give and receive attention.

Without Stripes, beyond having a hole in ones heart, Pogo is very standoffish. She's still looking for him (granted it's only been about 5 days now), still looks out waiting for him to come along. And yeah, maybe I'm putting human emotion over what an animal is actually feeling, but I don't know what to do. The other feral cats know he's gone, and most have come to an accord. Checkers, who we know to be Pogo's mom, would always be found next to Stripes, or curled up with him. She's talkative as always, and so difficult to get a read on.

Is there anything that I can do in order to help Pogo, steps I can take? Or is it just an adjustment and I take each day as they come?

Thank you for reading through this.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss and wish I had the answers to your questions. My elderly cat Daisy was PTS last week, and Elsie still looks around the house for her every night. It's a different situation, but it cuts me to the bone.

Since cats learn by watching other cats, my guess would be that Pogo is waiting for her cue from Stripes that it is okay to proceed. She may eventually come around. It's difficult to say. We've had a few feral cats in the past that I have never been able to touch. We have one now, Big Red, who I have not been able to get within a few feet of. I was amazed that during the TNR, he was the first cat I caught. DH is a Cat Whisperer and has been able to touch all but one in our long history of obsession with felines.

I hope that with time, she will learn to trust you. I wish I knew how long cats wait for others to return.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about Stripes, It's always a plus to know someone cared and gave him a better life than he would have had otherwise.....
With his loss, the colony will have to go thru a "chain of command" restructure now, which they have to sort out on their own....May take days or weeks.................

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Karita, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you and Pogo have lost Stripes. If I were you, I'd continue to behave as if Stripes were still there. Maybe Pogo will eventually find the courage to approach you. Or she may develop a relationship with another, braver cat.

This won't do you any good right now, but if you lose another of your feral cats and are able to, I suggest allowing the others in the colony to view the remains. I do that whenever one of my own cats has died, and suspect it may keep them from wondering what happened to their companion. The one time I wasn't able to, there was considerable grieving on the part of his best friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaritaL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pogo Stripesy1.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality, this was taken a couple years ago. Pogo's the tortie - Stripes the lovely tabby. Thank you everyone for the advice and sympathy. I miss him greatly, he was such a lovely soul, always took care of his colony and his 'girls'. I will definitely take everyone's advice. Thank you all, and for the warm welcome. I was at a complete loss and can't tell you all how much I appreciate your compassion and help in this situation.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with ferals, so I can't be much help here other than to say that I am so sorry for your loss. It really hits me seeing the photo, as Stripes and Pogo look very like my current two cats.

I am sure Pogo feels as lost without Stripes as you do. Cats most definitely feel grief and bereavement when they lose another cat they were close to, not matter what anyone says about them 'just' being animals. I had one bonded pair of littermates who were very close. When the sister, a very confident cat that her timid brother took cues from died suddenly, we showed the brother the body, and I think he knew it was her. But that didn't stop him jumping up in expectation whenever the wind rattled the cat flap. He became very withdrawn and despondent for weeks, only moving around to eat and use the toilet and not even bothering to clean himself. It was terrible, but in the end he did recover and went on to be a happy, playful boy for the rest of his life.

I can only hope that time will heal both you and Pogo. For now, I'm afraid that all you can do is wait. I know there isn't much comfort in that, but try to take each day at a time and appreciate that a feral cat, who had no reason to trust people, let you into his life to such a great extent. That is truly special.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. I hope Pogo starts letting you pet her again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KaritaL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update, Pogo is still looking around every so often when I come outside, but has let me get a couple fingers on her for a few seconds, it's slow progress, but it is progress. Last night, I took out my indoor kitty, Slinky, who everyone in the colony loves, to see if Pogo might seek out her 'approval' or comfort. It did work, to an extent, I was giving Slinky attention and Pogo came up seeking some from Slinks as well as myself. It felt really good, and I have to admit to getting verklempt. :)