Asiatic Lily

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I was outside with my cat on a leash a few minutes ago and she took a go at an asiatic lily in the garden. I am not certain whether she ingested any, but if she did, it would have been the tip of a leaf (<0.25" sq.) I know it is a highly toxic plant to cats, but I'm not clear on what would constitute a potentially lethal dose.

Assuming she DID ingest that leaf tip, would that be enough to bring her to the vet immediately? I don't want to sit around until symptoms appear, but I also don't want to go through the whole rigamarole for no reason.

If it matters, as I've read the pollen is potentially more toxic than leaf matter, the plant is not in flower.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If it matters, as I've read the pollen is potentially more toxic than leaf matter, the plant is not in flower.
Here's an article on this plant :- cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home

I would keep an eye on her and monitor if there are any unusual behaviors and symptoms and called the vet and check with them for the moment and hear them out to see if she needs the vet's attention immediately.

Another article here :- first-aid-for-cats

Do keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's an article on this plant :- cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home

I would keep an eye on her and monitor if there are any unusual behaviors and symptoms and called the vet and check with them for the moment and hear them out to see if she needs the vet's attention immediately.

Another article here :- first-aid-for-cats

Do keep us posted.
I ended up taking her in and they're keeping her for 2 days on IV fluids, as well as trying to induce vomiting, giving charcoal, and monitoring her kidney levels. She didn't show any symptoms but I just didn't want to risk it, what with how quickly kidney damage can happen. Her prognosis is pretty good. I really wish I could have taken her home tonight, but the 48 hours of IV fluids seems to be a big factor in recovery rates. Thankfully she's a very happy-go-lucky cat and isn't scared of new places or people so she's probably not miserable so long as she's getting some attention, but I miss her :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
but I miss her :(
It's good that you brought her in and at least you know she's in good hands and it's better than being at home and rushing in the last minute when you don't know how much damage is already done.

Give her lots of hugs and kisses when she comes back and I n the meanwhile, maybe you can get rid of the lily plant and other toxic ones too. You don't want this to happen again.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good that you brought her in and at least you know she's in good hands and it's better than being at home and rushing in the last minute when you don't know how much damage is already done.
Yes that was my great fear, of waking up in the morning and finding her sick and it being too late to prevent kidney damage.

maybe you can get rid of the lily plant and other toxic ones too. You don't want this to happen again.
I am planning to! It's actually outside, and she's not an outdoor cat, she was on a leash which I was holding, but eating grass nearby and I didn't clue in until she went in for a bite of the lily. I can't see myself letting that happen again, but why tempt fate!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did all the right things! I know that it was a judgement call but you made the right choice to take action. It’s wonderful that you were paying such close attention and noticed! Very glad you caught that. You’re a great kitty guardian! Sending purrs to you both! :redheartpump:

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) In the clear light of day I am still very happy with my decision.

So far, she is doing well at the vet. Kidney and urine tests from last night are great and she seems to be enjoying all the attention. We're not out of the woods yet, we won't really know anything until tonight's bloodwork or even tomorrow's bloodwork, but we're into the time period where symptoms might start to show, so every hour that she's not showing symptoms is a small victory.