Arthritis X-rays

Kingjc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
So I have a ten month old kitten. Who has been having issues walking and standing up without his back legs giving out. He had X-rays done back on March 4. The vet I go to says he has hips of a 10+ year old cat, as in he has extremely bad arthritis.
Which vet says was caused by his dangerously high fever he had back in January.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if that’s what he has, with the X-rays attached
F1E11262-B846-40B4-89B9-A0A62D03D2F7.jpeg
09002657-9D41-4D4B-8814-7F776B137C7D.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kingjc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Would you be willing to speak with another vet?
ive tried many vets around where I live and none will look at his X-rays. But if I could find someone to. Than yes

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess if it were me, I would want the vet to show me an example of a 'normal' x-ray and then compare it to the x-rays done on your kitten - and highlight the differences. I am certainly NOT a vet, but I have never come across anything that has ever said a high fever can cause arthritis. Can this vet explain how that happens?

Why will no other vets look at his x-rays? Seems very strange, unless they are all affiliated with the same practice (then, there is a colleague bias 'thing' going on).

Kingjc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kinda hard to show me. When we aren’t even allowed in the building while the animals are being looked at.
Extreme trauma can cause arthritis from what I’ve read on many sites.

and no other vet will because their not accepting new clients.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Extreme trauma would be more like an injury - or, it could even be congenital. There is no reason a caring vet cannot send to you pics of the x-rays highlighting where the issue(s) is/are. And, they are not without access to what 'normal' x-rays look like - that they could also share with you.

The bottom line is: what can be done to help your kitten? What did this vet suggest you do? Arthritic supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels)? Steroids, anti-inflammatories?

Kingjc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on metacam, and glucosamine. But it doesn’t seem to help at all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has he been on these meds, and how long did the vet say they might take to make a difference? Neither of those supplements are instantaneous, in terms of getting results. At this point, I guess I would ask for a phone consult with the vet, to see what they say.

Is he doing OK otherwise - eating/drinking/using the litter box?

Kingjc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was put on them on the 4th. But had to take him off for 2 days cause he was throwing up. While he was on it he was back to himself running around and playing.
last 3 days he’s only gotten up to eat, drink and use the litter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, he was on the meds for how long exactly before the threw up? As in he started them on the 4th and then he was taken off of them (what date)? Then, 2 days later, he was put back on the same meds - and, that was when? Have you told the vet about this change?

It could be an allergic reaction to either of the meds. It is just so hard to tell. Again, asking for a phone discussion with the vet, with all the particulars you have shared here, is your best bet.

All any of us can do on this site as laypersons is give you our perspective and feelings about what we would do personally. I wish the circumstances with your current vet - and, the inability to consult with another vet - weren't so difficult.