are your kitties scared of thunderstorms?

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Danny is not afraid of thunderstorms. We don't get many in this part of Oregon, but when Danny and I lived in Ohio, the storms were amazing. I think I was more nervous than Danny was! (Though I loved to watch them!)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We (Washington, DC area) just had a strong thunderstorm last night with thunder and lightening, torrential downpour and some hail; it woke both Ritz and me up. Ritz was sitting in between my knees, looking at me. I said not entirely convincingly, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s okay, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s okay, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll protect you. And then I patted my upper chest to invite her to come closer if she wanted comforting. And she did
She settled down around my arm and chest, and we just reassured each other until the storm passed. This behavior from a formerly stray/feral kitten who still won't let me pick her up. Awww……
I actually expected Ritz to be scared, although she survived a 20 inch snow storm in December before she was rescued, so maybe rain is less threatening.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Abby is, but not as bad as she used to be. When she was younger she would run and hide in the closet. Now that she is older, she will stick around wherever she is. Her ears perk up and her eyes get big sometime, but she will only run off if there is an extra loud boom.
Sounds like mine. Only when the thunder is very close and loud do they react by hiding under the beds.

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sophie, I have to pry away from the windows. She seems to sense when a storm is brewing, and will stand with her paws on the sill to look out. We had an exceptionally nasty storm last week, and I had a huge scare, because I kept chasing her away from the hall window so I could close it, and she kept jumping right back up...a wind gust came through that was so forceful it actually cracked the window (it's a crank window, so the window was sticking out from the house) before I could get it shut, with Soph only a foot away.
Scared me to death. Sophie was completely unruffled.

Jack, on the other hand, is a 'Fraidy Cat. We had another boomer yesterday, and he was glued to the wall, under the bed, as far back as he could possibly get, and curled into a tiny ball of terror. Sophie walked past (on her way to a window to watch the show, of course), peeked in at him, and I could swear she rolled her eyes in disgust.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All my former strays get a bit edgy during thunderstorms, except for my eldest, Joji, who's going deaf. But the orphans I bottle fed seem oblivious to storms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Anne that story was so intense to get through! I'm so glad the kitty's life was saved, but it still breaks my heart that the little one had to stay on that tree all throughout storms...
There was a stray or feral kitty around here who was meowing all night a few days ago when there was a thunderstorm....It broke my heart I wanted to let her stay in the garage but of course she would never have trusted me to take her there.