Are x-rays overkill here? Or is ultrasound enough?

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Willow, has chronic kidney disease. According to people in the CKD Facebook groups I joined, given his numbers, he shouldn't be looking so sick after he eats. Not every day, but a lot of the time. He often looks dehydrated on these bad days, and his vet has not put him on any sub-q fluids. He also was having constipation problems, but pumpkin has helped, though days he looks sickest, occasionally he'll leave his dish to go have a bowel movement.

I'm going to mention things he's swallowed years and years ago that his vet isn't concerned about since it's been so long ago. Rubber bands. Plastic wrap (saran wrap)...it was in his stomach for 6 days until it came up and I began seeing pieces come out in his stool (husband had to make a mad dash to the bathroom in the middle of their feeding routine). Gradually, over a period of yearsss, chewed and swallowed pieces of dental floss tied to a chair. (It was one long piece, but he chewed it off little by little.) Again, my vet is not at all concerned. This was a long time ago.

So I have an appointment tomorrow for both x-rays and an abdominal ultrasound. I asked her what benefit x-ray had over ultrasound. All I got was we'll be able to see the spleen and see the sizes and shapes of organs. Measurements. I already know he has a small liver. That showed up on x-ray years ago, but nothing was done about it. Our focus is pretty much his GI tract and kidneys. Inflammation. Tumors. I'm guessing the liver is included?

I'm funny when it comes to ionizing radiation. I don't even get my teeth x-rayed most of the time. Maybe once every 6 years. I lost a cat to a GI cancer back in 2019. I don't want this cat to have unnecessary exposure to ionizing radiation, no matter how small the dose, especially if it's overkill.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Willow, has chronic kidney disease. According to people in the CKD Facebook groups I joined, given his numbers, he shouldn't be looking so sick after he eats. Not every day, but a lot of the time. He often looks dehydrated on these bad days, and his vet has not put him on any sub-q fluids. He also was having constipation problems, but pumpkin has helped, though days he looks sickest, occasionally he'll leave his dish to go have a bowel movement.

I'm going to mention things he's swallowed years and years ago that his vet isn't concerned about since it's been so long ago. Rubber bands. Plastic wrap (saran wrap)...it was in his stomach for 6 days until it came up and I began seeing pieces come out in his stool (husband had to make a mad dash to the bathroom in the middle of their feeding routine). Gradually, over a period of yearsss, chewed and swallowed pieces of dental floss tied to a chair. (It was one long piece, but he chewed it off little by little.) Again, my vet is not at all concerned. This was a long time ago.

So I have an appointment tomorrow for both x-rays and an abdominal ultrasound. I asked her what benefit x-ray had over ultrasound. All I got was we'll be able to see the spleen and see the sizes and shapes of organs. Measurements. I already know he has a small liver. That showed up on x-ray years ago, but nothing was done about it. Our focus is pretty much his GI tract and kidneys. Inflammation. Tumors. I'm guessing the liver is included?

I'm funny when it comes to ionizing radiation. I don't even get my teeth x-rayed most of the time. Maybe once every 6 years. I lost a cat to a GI cancer back in 2019. I don't want this cat to have unnecessary exposure to ionizing radiation, no matter how small the dose, especially if it's overkill.
My cat had 2 radiographs done. They showed a possible obstruction but will not know for sure without an ultrasound. It is confusing!
Her first visit she had a urinalysis done which showed uti. Week later she had another urinalysis which showed the infection is gone but she has crystals so then the xrays

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Xrays give a clearer image of the whole picture. You can see organs in relation to each other that you can't see on ultrasound.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to agree with carebearbaby1 carebearbaby1 on this. The x-ray will give a much clearer indication of the organs overall and in relation to each other. If this was some minor thing, I might feel differently, but in this case, you need as clear a picture of what is going on with him as you can get.