Are these Kidney labs in the normal range worrysome?

Gymnast89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In June, my 5yr old cat had labwork done at a wellness visit. Her BUN was slightly high (39; normal range 16-37). The CREA was normal (2.2; normal range 0.9-2.3). The SDMA was 12 (normal 0-14). Her regular Vet wasn’t worried and said to recheck her labs in a month or two. Another Vet (where my friend works) suggested an abdominal ultrasound & internal medicine consult.

We rechecked her labs last week and her vet said they’re normal (CREA 2.0, BUN 30).

So, he said this pretty much puts the kidney question to rest and we can recheck in a year.

The other vet still suggests an an ultrasound. Idk what to think??? I want to do right by my fur baby.

The ultrasound would require them to shave her belly though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not quite sure how this other Vet (where your friend works) is even in the picture. Did you take your cat there for a 2nd opinion, or just discuss it with your friend, who then discussed it with her boss?

If you go strictly by the numbers, I would say everything looks good and there is no need for further intervention at this time. This is from someone who has had three kidney cats, so I am very paranoid about kidney disease. There have been a couple of occasions when my healthy cats have had one or two kidney values slightly higher than normal and we never even discussed doing an ultrasound or internal medicine consult, we simply watched it and retested later and all was well.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes 70% loss of kidney function for it to show on the lab work. Your cat is in the upper normal range. You might want to consider an ultrasound. You could also do a urinalysis to check the specific gravity of the urine. That will help determine kidney function.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd personally let it go and do another check down the road. BUN can be impacted by many things, so not a real indicator of much. Creatinine can be on the high end in muscular cats, as well as those who eat high protein diets, and often raw/homemade fed ones can cause it too.

I think you can forgo an ultrasound at this point, especially if any of the things I mentioned above are applicable to your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gymnast89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not quite sure how this other Vet (where your friend works) is even in the picture. Did you take your cat there for a 2nd opinion, or just discuss it with your friend, who then discussed it with her boss?

If you go strictly by the numbers, I would say everything looks good and there is no need for further intervention at this time. This is from someone who has had three kidney cats, so I am very paranoid about kidney disease. There have been a couple of occasions when my healthy cats have had one or two kidney values slightly higher than normal and we never even discussed doing an ultrasound or internal medicine consult, we simply watched it and retested later and all was well.
I
I'd personally let it go and do another check down the road. BUN can be impacted by many things, so not a real indicator of much. Creatinine can be on the high end in muscular cats, as well as those who eat high protein diets, and often raw/homemade fed ones can cause it too.

I think you can forgo an ultrasound at this point, especially if any of the things I mentioned above are applicable to your cat.
I had gone there (right after their opening) as a favor to her since she had to recruit people to come for free viists post-opening. I only did it as a favor though (and she was fine with that). This Vet still emailed me a few times about setting it up though. Hope that clarifies.

And yes they did a urine test and it was well concentrated/ normal.

Thanks for the insight though—appreciate it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gymnast89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It takes 70% loss of kidney function for it to show on the lab work. Your cat is in the upper normal range. You might want to consider an ultrasound. You could also do a urinalysis to check the specific gravity of the urine. That will help determine kidney function.
The urine test was normal