Are there feline blood banks that will buy B blood?

ColorPointOtome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently received the results of my Base Paws DNA test and found that my 6 month old male kitten is blood type B, which is drastically less prevalent than type A. Further, type B cats have a stronger autoimmune response if they receive an incompatible type blood. I assume that would mean there must be a high demand for healthy FIV/FeLV/HW negative cats that can donate type B. Has anyone had any success in selling their cat's blood (in reasonable amounts)?

The way I think of it, my cat is going to cost a fortune to receive blood transfusions when it is a senior so I shouldn't donate blood for free.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think there are "blood banks" for cats. If I'm correct transfusions are from cat to cat at time of need.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find one in quebec Blood donation

So they do exist. Google may be helpful too. I imagine this isn't the only place that does blood donations. Just be aware your cat can't be on any medication (hyperthyroid, diabetes, etc.) And must weigh at least 10 lbs. And be indoor only to be elegable.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Blood Donor Cats | International Cat Care
This article will answer some of your questions.

Some vets keep rosters of potential dog donors who can be called in if needed; this is even done for smaller animals like guinea pigs. One obstacle with cat blood is that it has to be a live transfusion as opposed to stored blood. It will more than likely require sedation with a cat, although with dogs one of the criteria is usually that the dog be calm and friendly enough not to need sedation. My cat vet keeps "house cats" who live at the clinic as donors so that they are always ready to go if needed.

If you are in an area with a large number of vets, you might make a few phone calls. Someone may be able to utilize your cat if you agree to the protocol.

As for compensation, dog donors are normally given a bag or case of food.