Are diuretics safe for 4 month old kitten?

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last month My kitten was diagnosed with roundworms. She was not gaining weight much. She had a potbelly and had difficulty in breathing. I dewormed her then. Her belly size reduced but it is was still abnormal. After 3 weeks I dewormed her again and she is gaining weight. She weighs 4 lbs now. But her abdomen is still abnormal and she has difficulty in breathing.
I contacted vet.. he said it is ascites due to parasites. He suggested me some diuretics. I asked him is it safe as she is very young. He didn't say anything clearly then. Are diuretics safe for kittens? Her breath rate becomes normal with it?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have her feces tested again to make sure you got them, most wormers do NOT kill tapeworms. I use a topical one, Profender, which I apply to the back of the neck. It needs a prescription and I buy it at Pet Meds, online, much cheaper. If you go with the diuretic be very careful, give the minimum amount, and observe how it works. They can cause the potassium levels to drop drastically and cause all kinds of bad consequences. I gave Lasix for years to a geriatric cat for heart failure, so it can be used if the dose is calculated carefully. Is there a reason the vet could not drain the fluid and test it? The water inside her will eventually be absorbed by her body, but it takes time. as long as she is eating/drinking/using the litterbox, that is a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might have her feces tested again to make sure you got them, most wormers do NOT kill tapeworms. I use a topical one, Profender, which I apply to the back of the neck. It needs a prescription and I buy it at Pet Meds, online, much cheaper. If you go with the diuretic be very careful, give the minimum amount, and observe how it works. They can cause the potassium levels to drop drastically and cause all kinds of bad consequences. I gave Lasix for years to a geriatric cat for heart failure, so it can be used if the dose is calculated carefully. Is there a reason the vet could not drain the fluid and test it? The water inside her will eventually be absorbed by her body, but it takes time. as long as she is eating/drinking/using the litterbox, that is a good sign.
He told me to give 1/10th tablet of dytor plus 5 mg which contains ( spironolactone 50 mg and Torasemide 5 mg) twice a day. And also told me to give her electral water.
I consulted him online. Because right now in India the corona second wave is terrible. I can't take her to the hospital now.
I checked in online profender topical solution is not available in india. :(

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be safe I would just bring in a sample and make sure there are no parasites. I pray this will all resolve, I can tell you love her......

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem. My kitten is about 14 weeks old now. He was dewormed many times but still his abdomen is big. The vet did an ultrasound and found fluids in his abdomen. My kitten was prescribed to take Furosemide 5 mg every 8 hours for 7 days. Sometimes, the abdomen gets small. Then today, it is huge again like the first time. We will go to the vet on June 3 for followup.