Aquired A Pregnant Cat

chipsahoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have taken in a cat that is expecting kittens. We don't know much about her, but is obviously pregnant, it would seem that someone saw we have a barn, and dropped her off.

Anyhow, I want to build her a "pen" so that the kittens will be safe, because we have a small dog. I was going to build some walls that are about 30" high, so she can jump in and out, but the kittens have the safety of being left in that area. I want it big enough for the litter box as the kittens grow. I am wondering how large an area this pen needs to have? thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C chipsahoy

Do you have a spare room in your home for mom and the kittens? That would be best.

Where is mom staying now? Inside is safer.

She needs plenty of dry kitten chow and several wet meals a day to support her pregnancy.

Have you ever had a pregnant cat before?

Can you post a picture of mama kitty?

Thanks for caring for her! :)

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you look up the dimensions of a dog x-pen, I believe that size would be suitable for a mother cat and kittens. But be warned, when the kittens get around 4-6 weeks old, they are going to want to run around and play. It would be best if you had a separate room, like an office room, to keep them in.