Approx 9 week old kitten with rectal prolapse, saw the vet today.

Liezlmac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Prolapse happens when there is persistent diarrhea/cramping, the pushing and inflammed tissue has noplace else to go but out.

Treating the diarrhea is number one in getting this to fix itself, and it usually does.

If dewormed and no parasites it is very likely a dietary caused diarrhea.

If you are able to feed grain free canned food, and add some pure pumpkin daily, it will greatly improve.

Don't switch kinds/brands, and to start off did the vet explain how to settle his intestines down right away with bland foods such as nothing but chicken or turkey baby food for a few days?

It is so easily digested that it allows his internals to calm down rather than continue irritating them.

Then you will slooowly reintroduce grain free canned like wellness, etc.
Reading the whole thread on this matter helped me a lot. Saved a cat living next to a KFC and after a week noticed the prolapse. Had my hands in my hair the last few weeks of what to feed her. De wormed her but will take her to vet tomorrow as she is obviously starved. Such a sweet little kitten. Seems cats living on the street is more likely to get this as their diets are terrible and exposed to parasites. Will get yogurt and pumpkin tomorrow. Hard work to keep cat and house clean. Thank you

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catwoman707. I hope you are still on here and answering questions about anal prolapse in kittens. I found a 6-7 week old Manx kitten on the side of the highway last Thursday. Originally I had thought her tail was cut off but after cleaning her up a bit I realized that it was something else. On Monday I took her to my vet (I need to mention that he is a wonderful vet that loves animals and has treated all of my 6 dogs and 1 other cat). When he turned her around and realized what it was his face just fell and he was obviously upset. He told me what it was and all of the options including the purse string stitches all of the way to euthanasia if it doesn't heal. He dewormed her and gave her a shot of Convenia for any skin conditions and told me to come back in two weeks. I have read this entire thread and saw your suggestions which I am working on now. The day I took her to the vet stool was still running out of her rear end but as of yesterday it isn't doing that anymore and it looks very clean. Still pink and protruding but clean. She has used the litter box since I put one in there which is amazing so it seems she has some control. Tonight I had my husband hold her while I tried to gently rub some Vaseline on it and push it back in. It didn't go in. My question (finally! :) ) is how hard should I push to try to get it to go back in and does it normally work on the first try? Should I just keep trying daily and eventually it will go back in or will it hopefully go back in without me pushing it? I already love this sweet, tiny girl and can't see euthanasia as being an option. She is so healthy otherwise. She plays and runs around and purrs. Please give me any advice you think can help her. What you did for Buzzy is nothing short of amazing. He looks like a completely different cat :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi hisskitty!
Thanks so much for the compliment :)

If you tried pushing it in and it wouldn't go, this would tell me there is too much inflammation still so I would not do this again until whatever the irritant/cause is fixed so the swelling will go down too.

The main thing here is, the sooner her poop is normal the better outcome. The poop is not only runny it can actually cause burn/raw skin, as you can see in Buzzy's pics.

Keep her butt clean, but rather than wiping, use a stream of water to rinse anytime you see poop on it.
You don't want to irritate that soft delicate tissue anymore than it is now.

Did the vet do any testing on her poop? Fecal float? What do you feed her?

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catwoman707. Thank you so much for replying. She really doesn't have much of a tail at all. Just a little nub. I am attaching a picture of her butt to give you and idea of how it looks. I am feeding her a can of the Fancy Feast Kitten turkey flavor. I'm splitting it three ways to feed at separate times and she wolfs it down each time. Her poop has definitely gotten better and doesn't run out of her anymore. Her round belly has gone down some too. If we can get the swelling down we will try to have the purse string stitch done. Do you think I should feed her something different to help any inflammation in her intestines?

DaisyButt 2(800x600).jpg

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, quite honestly it's not out much, clearly is still inflammed and irritated though, but in my opinion I don't think you will need a stitch, I think it will go in and be normal once her poop is good based on what I have seen in other kitties, most with more of a protrusion too.
Ongoing diarrhea or constipation will cause this, as well as parasites and even a bladder infection.
The more normal her poop becomes the swollen tissue will calm down and the prolapse will usually retract itself.

The most limited ingredient food would be best, although I wouldn't think ff kitten should irritate, especially since she came this way.
However I think there is more to this inflammation than diet, and I would be focusing on keeping it rinsed for sure, #1.
But deworming and be sure it's repeated.
Also possible parasites, often times a mere fecal float done in the vet's office will not show parasites unless it so happens they are shedding cysts at that time, which is intermittently. Sample should be examined under a microscope rather than looking for floating eggs which is what a fecal float test is.

Time is important, problems arise when it's protruded too long, and even a risk of tissue dying which then needs surgery.
Ask your vet if he can get or carries ponazuril. If this kitten were in my rescue I would use pyrantel for 3 days, wait a few days then treat with ponazuril.

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:rock:Thank you. I will see if I can get her in Monday to get that started. It will feel odd "telling" my vet what I need done :think: I've been so afraid to think of her as a permanent resident in our family but your advice gives me hope.

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again. Can I administer Pyrantel and Ponazuril on my own without the vet?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You sure can! Pyrantel is inexpensive and has a long shelf life, which is the dewormer. Tastes like banana :)
Ponazuril is diluted Marquis paste which is for horses with coccidia.
Some vets have discovered how awesome it is for cats as it is fairly broad spectrum and works not only for coccidia but a few others.
It actually kills the parasitic cysts where as albon, the more common alternative treatment only inhibits growth and the kitty's system must handle fighting this off, which can take up to even a couple months of daily dosing.

Ponazuril is once a day for 3-5 days, big diff :)
But vet would need to give you a script for it.
Since discovering this med I can't believe I actually lived without it!
Being in rescue, cats and kittens come from wherever, often bringing viruses and parasites along due to being born outside/exposed to much more than indoor/owned cats do, so we have to be fully armed!

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet yesterday about the worming medication and I guess he gave her Advantage Multi which kills fleas, heartworm as well as hookworm and tapeworm. It is a spot on application and I thought it just covered fleas and heartworms. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to give her multiple dewormers. Do you think the Advantage Multi will do what the Pyrantel would have done? Can I still do the Ponazuril? Sorry to be so ignorant :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not ignorant! Most of us trust the vets we take our beloved pets to.

Roundworms are the the most common worms in kits/cats. If there is a tummy full of worms I would personally not feel it's enough. Often times, as revolution does too, the med that is added is more of a preventative rather than a full on treatment.

Whatever you choose to do, just know that pyrantel is extremely gentle and mild, no harm will come from adding this treatment, even repeatedly to be sure.
I treated a kitten for months every 2 weeks before until many times later the worms were finally gone. She had them pretty bad.

This is also why it does not require a prescription.

Yes, ponazuril can be used along with pyrantel.
One for worms, the other for parasites. Sound the same but are different :)

Hisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again :) So, I requested the pyrantel and ponazuril from my vet and he gave me profender, a spot on wormer. Rather than try to find another way to get the other two I went ahead and used it. This was about 4 days ago. I have done the rinsing and keeping her food to the ff kitten. She doesn't have a messy butt anymore but the prolapse does not seem to have gone down any. I'm beginning to worry that it won't. She is growing well and seems very healthy otherwise. She's very playful and loving and I know that euthanasia is not an option. I guess my question is if the prolapse does not subside on it's own what should I do? I am considering the purse string stitch but I don't have the funds for any other surgeries. I don't really know how to move forward with this girl for the best possible outcome. Do you have any suggestions?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how long it's been this way it takes time for the tissue to shrink to normal state, so don't lose hope so soon! :)
Just know if by chance it does not in time, having a stitch put in is the way to go.
But def too soon to tell.
Hang in there. :lovecat:

SuperHisskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on how long it's been this way it takes time for the tissue to shrink to normal state, so don't lose hope so soon! :)
Just know if by chance it does not in time, having a stitch put in is the way to go.
But def too soon to tell.
Hang in there. :lovecat:
Hi Catwoman707! It has been a little while but I wanted to give you an update on Daisy :) It took some time but she is now perfectly healthy. Her prolapse eventually went away without any surgery at all. I kept it clean and moisturized as best I could and was careful with her diet so that she wouldn't get diarrhea and it eventually healed. I wanted to thank you so much for your advice. If you hadn't told me what to expect I may have made some bad choices instead of just letting nature do it's thing. I also wanted to post so that other folks dealing with anal prolapse in kittens can see a success story and have hope :) I hope you are doing well and so is Buzzy. Thank you again.

catlady8890

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reading these post gaves me a little hope. I have a kitten who has a prolapsed anus. I can't even get appointment at the vet. I thought about pushing it back in but was un sure. Was told baby wipes and Vaseline. My kitten is having a hard time going to the bathroom and already eats soft food and pumpkin.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: rectal prolapse
These are search results which may help you find other threads on this subject.

If you can, try to find a vet who can see this and possibly reset it himself, if that is possible. The long term problem with a prolapse is that the skin/tissue can dry out, or even become necrotic. A simple prolapse can require a stitch to hold it in place once it is reset.