Applying to adopt this adorable black kitten, but I have a question about oddly-coloured fur around his lips. Could I please have a second opinion?

WanderingKitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am a prospective first-time cat owner.

Yesterday, a local (super well-respected, highly-rated) cat rescue had an event in my local pet store, so I went there and absolutely fell in love with the personality, demeanour and incredible story of one of their littlest rescues -- a 5-month-old black kitten -- whereupon I submitted my formal application to start the lengthy process to potentially become his human.

I'll be hearing back from them this week and, if the great conversations I had with his current foster mom and other staffers was any indication, quite possibly moving forward with the adoption.

Before I do that, though, there's been something bugging me that I neglected to ask about in person, so if it's okay, I would like to ask on these forums.
🙇‍♂️

The little boy is an all-black cat, at least as far as I observed, with the conspicuous exception of the area around his lips. I'm not sure if this is just a little (and very specific) quirk to his fur, or perhaps the result of something like an allergic reaction to his food/bowl, but you can see it in these pictures here:

(JPEG Image, 535 × 711 pixels).jpg (JPEG Image, 714 × 689 pixels).jpg (JPEG Image, 724 × 728 pixels).jpg

I'd also like to note that, even though it's not visible in these photographs, in person I could see that the oddly-coloured area around his lips extends all the way to the sides of his head -- it stops precisely where his lips end, which I found to be cute, but also a little strange for a cat with an otherwise consistently black (and gorgeous!) coat.

If any of you could perhaps shed some light on what to make of this, I would be very grateful for your guidance. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post, and have a wonderful day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WanderingKitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they used ceramic bowls it could be acne. It doesn't look bad so it would go away on its own. Also ask them if that's how his fur has always been.
Thank you very much for your prompt response!

I'll be sure to ask for more information on his history (and maybe for more adorable pictures!) when I speak with his foster mom next -- so there's a chance, you think, that this is just how his fur looks? With the photo quality, I'm having a hard time telling if it's differently-coloured fur, or a bald spot...💭

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WanderingKitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be an allergic reaction to his bowl or even just a genetic pattern. What ever it is it is OK, a reputable pet rescue would not let a kitten go with something wrong. Love him as he is and maybe ask to look closer. He looks adorable to me!
Thank you very much!! I'll do just that. 🎉 I'm so glad I asked here!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice the allergic reaction til I lifted her head so it could have been there a long time which I think it was.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. Assuming the pet rescue has you sign a contract, check if it includes a veterinary check up. That way you can get a professional opinion about the colored area around his lips. He's adorable and we will be waiting to hear if he officially becomes your feline companion.:bigeyes: Please be sure to keep us posted. Best of luck! :crossfingers:

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be honest I don’t see anything wrong or different…some black cats just have lighter fur here and there. My cat is pure black but has random white hairs throughout and a little bald spot from birth.