Apple juice thief!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently possums like apple juice. Who knew? I was carrying groceries in a couple of days ago and left a plastic jug of apple juice sitting outside on a patio table. This morning when I went outside, I found the jug ripped open and empty. I am pretty sure it was a possum, since they have gotten into things in the past.

A few months ago, I was sorting through a bag of groceries on that same patio table trying to find something. I guess I had pulled out a package of sausage in the process, and it had been left on the table. That night, I went outside to take some trash, and the possum was sitting there on the patio table having a nice meal of sausage. He was not startled at all by me being there. He turned around and gave me a look like "What's up?" and went back to eating.

Maybe I should get rid of that patio table.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is interesting what animals in the wild will eat. When our grapes are on the vines, there are always grape hulls under the vines. Something eats them, and spits out the hulls like a person would. In the fall when the pear trees are full, we have seen coyotes pulling them off the trees and eating them. They also eat watermelon rinds when we throw them in the fields. Seems like animals like fruit. :lol3:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is interesting what animals in the wild will eat. When our grapes are on the vines, there are always grape hulls under the vines. Something eats them, and spits out the hulls like a person would. In the fall when the pear trees are full, we have seen coyotes pulling them off the trees and eating them. They also eat watermelon rinds when we throw them in the fields. Seems like animals like fruit.
My uncle's Golden Retrievers used to pull apples and pears off his fruit trees and eat them.
  Their house is on a steep hill; so it's easier to reach the fruit.   

In my grandfather's neighborhood (a complete suburb) you have to use multiple bungee cords on your trash cans or keep them in your garage (if you have one).  The local raccoons are especially fond of chicken wings and pizza crust.  
  Possums get into things too; but I don't know if they ever got into the trash cans.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raccoons are masters at getting into trash cans, they will leave a huge mess but everything edible is gone.  They lose their fear of people too.  They sometimes will get to the point of hissing at people who get close while they are dining,

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Raccoons are masters at getting into trash cans, they will leave a huge mess but everything edible is gone.  They loose their fear of people too.  They sometimes will get to the point of hissing at people who get close while they are dining,
They are also masters at getting into coolers. We've been robbed by quite a few while camping over the years.
  There's one park here in Florida that we used to camp at that had a small island for boy scout troops to use. it was heavily wooded and connected to the rest of the park by a small bridge that was over part of the river. we saw tons of raccoons and they had no fear of humans at all. we used to watch the dolphins swim and jump in the river from the bridge and would encounter raccoons who used it as their highway from the woods to the camping area all the time. they would just walk right by us like we weren't even there. too bad they aren't as sweet as they are beautiful.