Appetite In New Mom Cat With A Cold

Fosterfuzzies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I got a pregnant foster, Rivka, about a week ago. She started sniffling and sneezing a few days later and was very congested.

We took her to the vet and he gave her some antibiotics for the cold and some pills to increase her appetite. He was concerned that if the cold suppressed her appetite she wouldn't eat enough to produce a good amount of milk for the kittens. But, he warned us that the pills may go through to her milk, so to only use them if necessary.

Last night Rivka gave birth to five healthy kittens! She's doing well but is still very congested and hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning. I understand that she probably didn't eat yesterday due to the impending birth and that she ate five placentas last night - but as the day is progressing I'm starting to get concerned about her lack of appetite. I feel like my previous mom cats all ate fairly soon after their kittens were born... Does anyone have any advice on how long I should wait until I resort to giving her the appetite stimulant?

Thanks!

*Rivka will not be going outside and way be spayed promptly when the kittens are weaned*

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many days has she been on antibiotics? Which antibiotic is she on?

She may still be full from the placentas. I would not worry too much until 24 hours have passed.

Also, put her wet food and water in the nest next to her. She may not be willing to leave her kittens quite yet to get food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fosterfuzzies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got an injection of antibiotic at the vet on Tuesday - I'm actually not sure of the name of it.
Her food and water are right beside her - I've been heating it up to try and tempt her with the smell but no luck so far.

Thank you for your input! I'll give it a little longer, five placentas is a big meal! I'm always surprised at how substantial they are when I see them haha.

Fosterfuzzies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My foster cat, Rivka, gave birth to five three-week-old kittens three weeks ago. They've been living in their nesting box (18x18 cardboard box) since birth.

This morning one of the kittens escaped over the lip of the box (about 8 inches high). Rivka was stressed out by this and starting meowing for me to help her. She's never once picked up her babies or attempted to bring any of them back into the nest when we take them out.

The room the nesting box is in is generally safe, no wires or furniture for them to get under, but it is large. I'm worried one of them will venture too far and Rivka won't bring them back. I'm wondering what you guys keep your three week old kittens in? I've seen the mesh playpen suggested a few times but I'm worried Rivka won't be able to get in it... I don't want to lock her in there with them as she enjoys her personal space a great deal.

Thanks!

Fosterfuzzies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops - meant to say "Rivka, gave birth to five kittens three weeks ago"! She didn't give birth to three week old kittens haha :p