Anywhere From 0 To 2 Pregnancies?

witchlapis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our two cats have been in contact with a tomcat while in heat. We are not sure whether the tomcat in question is neutered. They were together for a couple of hours, so it's fair to say that there's a high chance of pregnancy if the tomcat was not neutered.

This happened 14 days ago.

Our oldest, Mercedes, has become more affectionate these last couple days and display symptoms that look like a "mild" heat. Usually very loud and aggressive in attempts at mating, Mercedes is now more pleasant, docile and will only do the "mating pose" if you coo in a friendly voice or massage the cat's lower back. I'm keeping watch of the nipples - they are currently pink, but a light tone.

Our youngest, Luna, (both are adults btw), suddenly stopped being in heat after contact with the tomcat. Now this SEEMS like a red flag, but pay in mind that Luna has become more friendly and affectionate in the last days as well. Luna does not go into mating pose. One of my roommates noted she thought Luna has gained a little bit of weight, but this is not something we are certain of (besides, it's only been 2 weeks). Nipples are also light pink.

Obviously, we will take both to the vet soon. The tomcat visited again (under supervision) and I tried to search for testicles, but it was difficult. The cat is somewhat long-haired and did not want to show. This time, our cats seemed a lot more interested in this handsome stranger than the tomcat was in them.

Ps: These are actually my roomie's cats, but I love them and I'm trying to help gather information. And yes, it's likely we will spay if this ends in kittens (which we are prepared to take care of until we find responsible forever-homes for them).

Thanks for any help!

- Felix :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you allow them to mate deliberately?

Are they indoor/outdoor cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

witchlapis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you allow them to mate deliberately?

Are they indoor/outdoor cats?
Not exactly, it was a bit of an accident, but we're okay with kittens. They are indoor cats, but sometimes friendly cats from the neighborhood are allowed in to say hi (under supervision). My roomie let in a tomcat before she had to go to work, couldn't get em to leave before she really had to go. She thought I was awake, when I woke up they'd been there for two hours.

When I did wake up, I found both of our cats sleeping, and the tomcat wandering nonchalantly around the house. Luna was acting normal again instead of being in heat, Mercedes stayed in heat for another couple days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope he is neutered and the cats can go ahead and be spayed soon.

Pregnancy, labor, delivery, and nursing kittens are all really hard on cats. Kittens are expensive as well.

Please do not let this neighborhood cat in to visit anymore!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the females?

Also wondering if they are vaccinated.

witchlapis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope he is neutered and the cats can go ahead and be spayed soon.

Pregnancy, labor, delivery, and nursing kittens are all really hard on cats. Kittens are expensive as well.

Please do not let this neighborhood cat in to visit anymore!
It's ultimately my roommate's decision, but thank you. We're usually quite careful. Thankfully my family have bred before so it's not an entirely new thing for me. We'd sell the kittens, not give them away, both because we want to make sure the owners are willing to invest in their pets and because they're mixed Norwegian forest cats, who are quite friendly and popular. The only question is whether they're pregnant in the first place - do you think it's likely?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not breeding pedigree cats, or breeding responsibly, if they are pregnant. 3-4 is quite old for a first litter.

You should charge a fee to adopt so you're sure the owners are serious, maybe $50. Please do not try to make a profit on these potential kittens. They are moggies. There is nothing wrong with a common mixed breed cat, but it is wrong to attempt to market them as anything but.

witchlapis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are not breeding pedigree cats, or breeding responsibly, if they are pregnant. 3-4 is quite old for a first litter.

You should charge a fee to adopt so you're sure the owners are serious, maybe $50. Please do not try to make a profit on these potential kittens. They are moggies. There is nothing wrong with a common mixed breed cat, but it is wrong to attempt to market them as anything but.
Like I just said, we are charging a fee to make sure the owners are responsible. Some bigger breeds like maine coons and norwegian forest cats actually reach full size and maturity at 2-4 years old, so I would not say it's that old. Of course we would never marked them as purebred or professional, but it's quite common here to state what mixes are 'made of'.

Look, like I've said before, these are not my cats and I'm not looking for advice on how to sell them properly. That's WAY out of prospects right now, and that's something we will have to plan for a while and take in professional advice. All I asked is the odds of pregnancy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the male isn't neutered, I'd say it's approximately a 100% chance they're pregnant. But they are somewhat oldish for a first litter and there may be a corresponding drop in fertility. I'm not sure what kind of decrease in fertility cats experience with age.

Of course of he is neutered there's a 100% chance they aren't pregnant ;).

They should be spayed even if no kittens result. The older they get, the higher the chances for cancer and pyometra.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post pictures of the cats? It might help to see their nipples.

Nipples usually pink up considerably around the 21-day mark, and tummies begin to show around the 5-week mark. But heat can mimic pregnancy symptoms, so it's difficult to say.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A late neutered tom may remember how to do it, and mate... If so, the heat tend to disappear. And may develop false pregnancy.
Alternatively, if the tom was spayed very recently, they are fertile at least a couple of weeks more.

Anyways, if you arent really eager to have kittens, my recommendations will be to spay the females as soon you can arrange it.