Anything new for tarter control food?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 7 rescues at this time. Some of the older ones are showing signs of tarter buildup. I’m sure this has been discussed but being on a fixed income and these rising dental charges makes me stressed so I’m asking if anything new has come up.

To preface: they are all rescues trapped as adults so unfortunately brushing is not an option…I’ve tried and have the scars to prove it!
they are all fed kibble with a can (shared) of wet daily
I offer royal canin dental health…not prescription…but have few takers
They have multiple water sources fountains and bowels to encourage drinking

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I have 7 rescues, too :)
I have not used this, but I have some customers with dogs and cats that have used perio support.
Perio Support Dental Powder for Dogs & Cats
It's supposed to be odorless and tasteless and is a fine powder you put on their food. My customers have said they love it, but I have not used it myself. I believe Furballsmom Furballsmom is using it for her rescue cat as well.
There are various water additives that have mixed reviews, I have never used them either however some people swear by certain brands.
Lastly, raw chicken gizzards (provided your cats will chew them) can do a good job at scrubbing teeth as they are very tough and chewy. Two of my cats are missing several teeth and I am not comfortable giving them something that tough, and one of my females will swallow anything whole so that's out for her, but some cats really do enjoy them.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
TD works very well for tartar control. My Dude's teeth have improved a lot since I started giving it to him for treats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat will crunch the dental food is very helpful. Calcifer's teeth got a gold star from the vet.

I'll also be really curious to know how well it works Furballsmom Furballsmom . Magnus won't crunch anything and the water additive is not doing it's job.