anyone have reccomendtion for cat food toppers

StarKitty23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I need to buy some cat food toppers that I use monthly for my cat to mix his Miralax in and with his wet food so he'll eat everything. I've been using hartz delectable stew so far but I'm concerned about one of their ingredients, carrageenan. When I ordered it online on Amazon, it stated that there was no carrageenan in the product, but after getting the actual product and inspecting the ingredients, it states that it does in fact contain carrageenan 😵💫.
So anyway I need an alternative food I can use that my cat will enjoy, does anyone have any recommendations?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are you dissolving the miralax in a little water first? That's what I did for my boy and then I just mixed it directly into his food without using toppers.

You're giving it to him only once a month?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StarKitty23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Are you dissolving the miralax in a little water first? That's what I did for my boy and then I just mixed it directly into his food without using toppers.

You're giving it to him only once a month?
Oh no, I give him Miralax twice every day, it helps him poop once every 2 days. I meant monthly as in I buy a whole months worth of packs at least in a attempt to mix it with them to give to him. I've tried mixing it with his wet food and he liked it up until he didn't. So I just mix Miralax with a supplement instead now and give it to him like that and let him him eat the wet food separately. He's weirdly finicky. I think I've decided since the stew might not be a good idea, I'll try the squeeze ups instead and see how it takes to them :)
Also sorry for the late reply!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S StarKitty23 as a personal preference, I never use/buy Hartz products.

I recommend Pure Bites toppers. They are a large bag and our cats love them. They also contain things that are great for helping cats go.

Churu and Catit have tubes that it can be mixed in. That's a big hit here (we give Restorilax which is the same). Any tube treat is great to try.

Many brands have "soups" that may work well. Tikicat has a pack of toppers for 19.99. I think you could definitely get away with using 1/2 a package per dosage. Depends on how soupy your cat will eat something.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'll add that sometimes, Miralax can cause uncomfortable bloating. That might be why he wanted to stop eating it. We found over time we had to lower the amount Nobel takes because of this. We safely moved to 1/4 tsp every other day. This may not work for you, but you may be able to reduce to 1/4 tsp once a day, since he's not currently backed up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seconding Pure Bites and store brand equivalents from Chewy and PetSmart! Our cats live those.

We also top some meals with Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets, which have made our two cats more regular. They have some sort of meaty flavor (chicken or chicken liver, I don't remember) and work especially well for our cat that has had mild to moderate constipation for a long time. She has never had hairballs (I bought the tablets for her fluffier sister) but after reading that even a tiny dose of tablets helps some constipated cats, I tried them on Ireland, too! They do contain psyllium husk (among other things) so you'd need to compare various products ingredients.